Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Giving Back



So many people lost their jobs this year.  So many people lost their homes and their way of life.  It's hard to imagine what it must be like going home unsure of whether you have a meal or not, or worse, having children and not being able to feed them.

For those of us who are left with jobs, we all too often get so immersed in our own little world that we fail to recognize the challenges that we would have to deal with had we assumed the same fate that others did.  Ultimately, we forget how vulnerable we are.  We may be lucky right now, but even that could change instantaneously!  The reality of it is that we are all at the mercy of the economy and sometimes, no amount of hard work can shield us from the impact of these harsh conditions.

While grocery shopping a couple of weeks ago, the fish vendor at Seafood City (a Filipino grocery store) came up to me and asked if I had old baby clothes that my baby is no longer using.  She obviously saw me pushing Lucas in a stroller and she said she has a small baby who could use some clothes.  My initial reaction was to think "did she really just ask me that? what is she doing asking strangers/customers for clothes?"  So I replied "yeah, maybe I have some old clothes but I'm actually not from here.  I live far away."  This happened in a city called Vallejo, where so many Pinoys live.  It's a 30-minute drive from my place.

She responded, "I see.  That's fine.  Thank you!" and she gave me a genuine smile.  What was I thinking?  For someone to have the guts to come up to a stranger like that and ask for things is a sign of desperation.  And she wasn't doing it for herself, she was doing it for her baby.  Shame on me!  I am a mom too and I should have known that a mom would do anything for her child. 

I was so stricken with guilt!  I went back to her and said "you know what, this is a short drive from my place and yes--I do have old baby clothes and you can have them!"  Her eyes lit while she exclaimed "Really?! You'll remember?!"  Yes, I will remember!  I took her name--Paula, and her work schedule, and I will go back there soon and bring her baby some clothes.

I vowed to give back for all the blessings I have received, and I'm done making excuses.  Sometimes it's easy to say "I want to do something for others but I don't have the time or the energy or the resources to help".  Oh yes, we do!  A few little things here and there--a couple of hours of volunteer work, giving away usable clothing and shoes, a $10-bag of pancake mix that will adequately feed 200 children back home--these little things can go the extra mile and make a whole lot of difference!

Christmas is over, but it's never too late to give back.  So please do....IF you haven't already. 


Photo (grabbed from my dad's FB account):  Just some of the kids that my parents fed last Christmas.  We gave them money to buy themselves the Christmas gifts that they want, but instead they bought lots of bread, pancit and fried chicken and fed the poor families in their hometown of Loon, Bohol.  So proud of them...

6 comments:

Life+Style by C. Dacua-Ellazar Photography December 30, 2009 at 7:04 PM  

this is so moving liz.. bless your heart and your parents [nang ludy and nong cardo].

i wish i am this trustful liz [stranger coming up to you] but living in vegas for awhile i've seen a lot who just showed up in front of you and the next day you'll see them in the grocery buying cigarette or a bottle of gin. I and some colleague did one great act helping a pregnant homeless woman who presented at work --- end up we just wasted our money and timeless effort [find her a shelter, paid her cab, organize a social worker, provided food and clothing, etc], went back to the street "working" and keep using our names to pay for her necessities [including drugs].

it didn't stop me from helping though. now, what i mostly do i go to trusted organizations [mostly in the philippines] and donate some amount from there.

yes indeed it's never too late to give back.

Liza December 30, 2009 at 11:04 PM  

Cindy said...
...i wish i am this trustful liz [stranger coming up to you] but living in vegas for awhile i've seen a lot who just showed up in front of you and the next day you'll see them in the grocery buying cigarette or a bottle of gin.

I understand your hesitation, Cinds! It's true that sometimes people take advantage of the generosity and kindness of others, while other times we can really see how genuine they are in expressing their needs. I agree with you--there are so many other ways to help, to give back, and no matter how we do it, it will surely make a difference!

Shutterfairy December 31, 2009 at 12:17 AM  

LOVE this entry Liz.. There are so many ways to give back and pay it forward.

My mom lives in Vallejo.

Liza January 2, 2010 at 12:14 PM  

Mai.Mai said...
...My mom lives in Vallejo.

Hala, tinuod ka?! Duol ra mi sa Vallejo, Mai--about 30 minutes. It would be nice to meet your mom someday!

konsuy January 3, 2010 at 5:15 AM  

very true liz. when i see victims of circumstances, my issues does seem to be miniscule compared to those who are surviving with the very little that they have.

Liza January 4, 2010 at 7:21 PM  

konsuy said...
very true liz. when i see victims of circumstances, my issues does seem to be miniscule compared to those who are surviving with the very little that they have.

Blessed na kaayo ta, Chi! And I pray that God will bless us more so we'll have more to share! :-)

Followers

Contributors

About This Blog

I got interested in photography when I met my husband. He loved photography since the 80's when he owned a Canon AE1 SLR camera. When we got married, we met a great photographer who inspired me even more. I started taking photos when my husband and I got our DSLR camera back in 2005. I never really shared my photos. But lately, I've been introduced to photoblogging and I saw it to be a great way of expression. My photos are amateur but I hope to learn more as I blog and connect with people.

Schmap.com San Francisco Guide

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP