Saturday, February 20, 2010

PhotoSHOPPING


I've tried to live without Photoshop for several weeks now.  I thought I would be OK without it because I don't do a lot of photo post-processing.  But as the days go by, I am starting to feel miserable without my Photoshop.

I actually do love post-processing photos and learning new processing techniques, but sadly I just don't have time for it.  I do edit and make corrections to most of my photos and iPhoto does that well for me.  But I can't seem to find enough time to do photo post-processing, even if I want to.  When I had Photoshop, I used it more for attaching watermarks to my photos.  When I had time to process photos, I'd do a few and really enjoyed it.  Now I can't because I got no tool to use.

I used to have Photoshop for Windows.  I was running Windows parallel to Mac OS in my iMac.  It worked seamlessly until I had to reformat my machine and upgrade my Mac OS.  For some reasons, I could not get Windows to run either by parallel or bootcamp.

So now I'm shopping for a Photoshop CS4 for Mac, only I can't find anything below retail anywhere.  Thing is, I really don't want to spend $700 on a software--especially if it's something I use for a hobby (funny that I'd be willing to spend this much on a pair of shoes that I'd use occasionally and not on Photoshop that I'll probably end up using more often).  I'm looking for cheaper alternatives and I'm considering Adobe Photoshop Lightroom instead.  Haven't used this before but I was told this would be adequate for photo editing.  Maybe I'll try Gimp too, but then again, if it's for photo editing I can just stick with iPhoto.

I miss Photoshop!  I would totally settle for an older version--it's better than not having it at all.  I feel paralyzed!

________________

Photo:  Grilled Tiger Prawns--one of our favorite quick meals.

8 comments:

JoPiE February 20, 2010 at 3:53 AM  

cuz, shoes are prettier than photoshop -- perhaps that's why! hehehe.

anyhoo, lightroom is a great tool... although for fine-tuning, photoshop is still best. pero mahala sad sa CS4 oi! no chance at all that CS3 will work on your iMac?

Shutterfairy February 20, 2010 at 5:18 AM  

Liz, look for a friend who already bought CS4.. or can it be that you try the trial cs4 and when that's over, you can just encode the license number something.

I didn't spend a single centavo on my cs4. I asked a friend to download one for me and the apple store here can do that for you too with payment of 1500 pesos.

Life+Style by C. Dacua-Ellazar Photography February 20, 2010 at 9:44 AM  

i feel the same liz... mao na gi-pag-tiyagaan nako intawon ang PSE {element}, maski ginagmay naa koy magamit para ma-enhance. if you get a good find liz na CS4 {one of my wish list this year if budget allows}, i-share ha.

the shrimp looks yummy btw.

Liza February 20, 2010 at 2:46 PM  

JoPiE said...

anyhoo, lightroom is a great tool... although for fine-tuning, photoshop is still best. pero mahala sad sa CS4 oi! no chance at all that CS3 will work on your iMac?


If Lightroom can't do what PS can do, then I'll just stick with iPhoto nalang cuz. Bitaw uy, perteng mahala ang CS4. I really don't mind using CS3, but don't have a Mac version. Mao sad na problem with having a Mac, you have to buy new apps na sad :-(

Liza February 20, 2010 at 2:48 PM  

Mai.Mai said...

I didn't spend a single centavo on my cs4. I asked a friend to download one for me and the apple store here can do that for you too with payment of 1500 pesos.


Really?! Baratuha gud 1,500 pesos?! Here, I have to pay almost 700 US dollars to get CS4 installed. I can download trial but when it's over, I still have to pay that amount to get a license code. Unless makakita ko pirated!

Papalit kaha ko nimo Mai! Hehehe

Liza February 20, 2010 at 2:49 PM  

Cindy said...

i feel the same liz... mao na gi-pag-tiyagaan nako intawon ang PSE {element}, maski ginagmay naa koy magamit para ma-enhance. if you get a good find liz na CS4 {one of my wish list this year if budget allows}, i-share ha.


Hi Cinds! I'll keep looking and let you know when I find a good deal.

konsuy February 21, 2010 at 1:26 PM  

i am using Gimp, Liz.
i don't know how to Photoshop cause I never had photoshop kay mac man pud ko. Try to see if Gimp has the features you need. It's free.

Liza February 21, 2010 at 10:18 PM  

konsuy said...

i am using Gimp, Liz.
i don't know how to Photoshop cause I never had photoshop kay mac man pud ko. Try to see if Gimp has the features you need. It's free.


Tapulan kaayo ko mo-learn ug another tool, Chi. But will definitely try Gimp kung dili gyud ko kakita PS. I once saw the interface of Gimp and it is a lot similar with PS so hopefully I'll have everything I need there.

Followers

Contributors

About This Blog

I got interested in photography when I met my husband. He loved photography since the 80's when he owned a Canon AE1 SLR camera. When we got married, we met a great photographer who inspired me even more. I started taking photos when my husband and I got our DSLR camera back in 2005. I never really shared my photos. But lately, I've been introduced to photoblogging and I saw it to be a great way of expression. My photos are amateur but I hope to learn more as I blog and connect with people.

Schmap.com San Francisco Guide

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP