Friday, May 20, 2011

Locked In--For Freedom?


Yesterday, while at work, I received a panic call from my mom.  Lucas locked himself in our bedroom (not his bedroom, but our master bedroom). 

My parents are watching Lucas and Nathan this week.  They are leaving and going back home this weekend. While Lucas was locked in, my mom was worried sick and got so paranoid.  What if Lucas goes to the bathroom, plays in the toilet or fills the tub and drowns himself?  I don't blame my mom for thinking this because there had indeed been reports of babies drowning in the toilet, believe it or not.

Charles was on his way home.  His work is closer to home than mine.  While waiting for Charles, my folks and Nathan kept knocking but Lucas wouldn't answer.  They can hear him doing stuff inside.  He wasn't crying.  So mom and dad went out and looked through our bedroom window from the outside. They could see Lucas through a gap in the blinds.  They saw that he was opening our dressers and drawers trying to find anything interesting.  He would take stuff out of the drawers and put them back in.  He was playing with things that we didn't allow him to play with--my watch, accessories, nail-clippers, etc.

Mom and dad started knocking the windows in a desperate attempt to get his attention and have him open the door.  But he simply looked towards them, smiled, waived and said "Hi Mamu!!!", which really pissed my mom off (though I found it really cute!).  It appeared that he was enjoying it.  He was enjoying the freedom of touching and playing with anything he could get his hands on and nobody stopping him. Later, my mom saw him get on the elliptical trainer.  This was dangerous and this got my mom even more worried.

So they knocked harder and started yelling at him. Nathan helped yell, "Cousin, open!!!"  Until later, he started crying and opened the door.  Charles arrived a few minutes after.  Lucas was already out.

How it happened.
It was Lucas' nap time. Mom was trying to put him to sleep in our bedroom because my dad was putting Nathan to sleep in Lucas' room.  We can't have them both in the same room.  Otherwise, they'll never sleep. Lucas asked my mom for his comfy blanket and when my mom went out to get it, Lucas shut the door and locked it.  I wonder if he deliberately did it to lock himself in so he can be by himself.  He is at a very curious stage where he likes playing with our things more than his toys.  He has outgrown his toys--he doesn't like them anymore.  In fact, he now knows that his leap-top is not a real laptop and he prefers to play with our laptop.  I wonder if he got tired of us telling him "Don't touch Mama or Papa's things", which is what we normally say when he starts messing around with our stuff. 

Lucas has a mind of his own now, and he obviously is putting it to use.  I may not like what he did--though I found it rather cute, but part of me is happy to know that he thinks, he explores, he learns, and as long as it doesn't do him any harm, sometimes I should let him have his way.

8 comments:

konsuy May 20, 2011 at 8:33 AM  

lucas is one smart kid. and i think he got his 'mischievousness' kang charles. hehehe.

malinggaw ko sa imong mama nga na worried pag ayo. unforgettable kaayo nga episode for sure.

yes, give lucas space that will allow him to explore. he is at this stage nga mo try where his limits are.

terrible two coming. =)

Mommy Blogs May 20, 2011 at 4:07 PM  

Hilarious! This is all part of growing up! Giving us paranoia and hypertension... your poor mom intawon. LOL!

Time flies gyud Liz, maski unsa ka cliche'! It's so true...

My little Miro shuts the door too, so he can play by himself. Di pa nuon kibaw mo lock.

Thanks for posting stories like this one =)

Aileen May 23, 2011 at 6:37 AM  

I can imagine how worried your parents were! But like you, I found all this quite cute. :D Lucas is a smart kid and it's wonderful when kids starts to think for themselves.

And for as long as they don't hurt themselves, I agree with you, it's ok to let him explore. :)

I can't wait to meet him! :)

Life+Style by C. Dacua-Ellazar Photography May 23, 2011 at 6:52 PM  

Oh my liz, there will be more... Lucas incident reminds me so much of ella about same age --- but i guess worst in the sense that she was literally home alone. absent minded me grab something in the garage, thought she was just playing but followed me to the door and played with the lock, accidentally locked herself in or shall i say i was locked out, at 6 in the evening --- it was so scary, i almost had a heart attack!!!

Liza May 23, 2011 at 8:51 PM  

konsuy said...
...yes, give lucas space that will allow him to explore. he is at this stage nga mo try where his limits are.

terrible two coming. =)


Chi, maayo unta having a terrible two will help me lose weight, hehe. But I doubt it.

I should take it from you--you who have two boys. I should give him some space so he can explore. Usahay man gud masobrahan sad ta ka-cautious.

Liza May 23, 2011 at 8:55 PM  

Mommy Blogs said...
...My little Miro shuts the door too, so he can play by himself. Di pa nuon kibaw mo lock.

Thanks for posting stories like this one =)


Tiris, it won't be long before makabalo si Miro mo-lock sa door. Paspasa bitaw ani nila mudaku uy! Maayo unta mudaku ra, magka-maldito man sad gud! Usahay makatawa nalang ko. It's amazing and sometimes funny to see what silly things they can do.

Liza May 23, 2011 at 8:57 PM  

Aileen said...
...And for as long as they don't hurt themselves, I agree with you, it's ok to let him explore. :)

I can't wait to meet him! :)


Ai, we cannot wait to meet you too! I'll make it my goal for next year to really meet you. It will be a dream come true gyud!

Liza May 23, 2011 at 8:58 PM  

Life+Style by C. Dacua-Ellazar Photography said...
Oh my liz, there will be more... Lucas incident reminds me so much of ella about same age --- but i guess worst in the sense that she was literally home alone. absent minded me grab something in the garage, thought she was just playing but followed me to the door and played with the lock, accidentally locked herself in or shall i say i was locked out, at 6 in the evening --- it was so scary, i almost had a heart attack!!!


Oh no!!! That was scary indeed, Cinds! How did you finally open up? Ako sad tingale mag-heart attack if I was in your situation.

Followers

Contributors

About This Blog

I got interested in photography when I met my husband. He loved photography since the 80's when he owned a Canon AE1 SLR camera. When we got married, we met a great photographer who inspired me even more. I started taking photos when my husband and I got our DSLR camera back in 2005. I never really shared my photos. But lately, I've been introduced to photoblogging and I saw it to be a great way of expression. My photos are amateur but I hope to learn more as I blog and connect with people.

Schmap.com San Francisco Guide

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP