Friday, June 24, 2011

On Explosion And Parenthood


"LARGE EXPLOSION MAY NEED BACKUP.
YES I SAID LARGE EXPLOSION MAY NEED BACKUP.
I HAVE TO WAIT
SHE'S STILL GOING..."

This was a desperate text from a husband to his wife.  He was watching 3-month old baby, while she was working out at the gym.  This cracked me up so much!

The wife happens to be my good friend, Lori. Her daughter, 3-month old Bianca, is the newest addition to my growing pool of godchildren.  I went to see them last week at Bianca's baptism in San Diego.  And one of the things we ended up talking about when I was there, inadvertently over lunch, was "explosions".


For those of you who aren't parents yet, "explosion" is what we call the incident when a baby releases too much soft poop.  More often than not, it's too much for the diaper to contain that it soils the clothes too.  Every parent hates dealing with this (admit it, parents!)--I know of some who would just rip or cut the clothes off and throw them away and not even bother washing them. I am one of them, although when this happened a few times with Lucas, my one-of-a-kind, keeper husband dealt with them.  He lovingly hand-washed the poop-soiled clothes before throwing them into the washing machine.  He did this so many times.


I have huge admiration for dads who are very hands-on with their kids.  Those who set aside time to take care of the kids so we, moms can be relieved of baby duties, get away or do our own thing and keep our sanity--just like my friend Lori's husband who happily takes care of Bianca while her mommy watches a movie with her friends or goes to the gym to get back in shape.  Lucky her!  And lucky me--I have one of those too! :-)

I also admire dads who stay home and be the kid's primary caregiver while the wife works full time.  It's not because these husbands don't want to go to work, in fact I know how bad this is for their ego and morale.  But they choose to do it because at the end of the day, it is the most practical and makes the most financial sense.

In this day and age where men and women have equal opportunities, I think it matters not who takes care of the kids.  What matters is that the kids get adequate care and attention from both parents, including working parents like us.  We only work an average of 8-10 hours a day, out of 24. There has to be plenty of time left.

8 comments:

Mommy Blogs June 25, 2011 at 5:42 AM  

Hahaha! I'm like you! I throw away soiled clothes. I can't even deal with plain dirty laundry, what more with extra dirty! LOL!

Mark asks me to do something for myself weekly. So he takes care of the kids. Might enroll in yoga classes =)

konsuy June 25, 2011 at 11:45 PM  

thank heavens for hands on Dads. we are so lucky.

Cindy June 26, 2011 at 7:20 PM  

so cuteeee!!!

lovely photos liz --- and i sure remember those explosion times, naka-graduate na intawon ko =)

Aileen June 27, 2011 at 3:41 AM  

You take beautiful baby portraits, Liz! :)

Liza June 27, 2011 at 5:01 PM  

Mommy Blogs said...
Mark asks me to do something for myself weekly. So he takes care of the kids. Might enroll in yoga classes =)


Tiris, I think our "me time" is very important. Mark is a great husband. I can tell by the way he plays with Akio and Miro when I went to see you guys! Hope to see you again soon--maybe when you come visit SF.

Liza June 27, 2011 at 5:03 PM  

konsuy said...
thank heavens for hands on Dads. we are so lucky.


Chi, indeed we are so lucky! Charles has some friends back in Cebu who has not even changed a single diaper. Others won't even see their kids unless they're clean. What a pity! I won't judge but I can't help but feel bad for the kids.

Liza June 27, 2011 at 5:04 PM  

Cindy said...
so cuteeee!!!

lovely photos liz --- and i sure remember those explosion times, naka-graduate na intawon ko =)


Thank you, Cinds! Sure ka ni-graduate na ka??? Maybe you're done with Ella and Emma, but who knows? Wa na kaha'y lain umaabot??? ;-)

Liza June 27, 2011 at 5:05 PM  

Aileen said...
You take beautiful baby portraits, Liz! :)


Salamat, Ai! You are very generous with your compliment. I am inspired to do more! Thanks to you!

Followers

Contributors

About This Blog

I got interested in photography when I met my husband. He loved photography since the 80's when he owned a Canon AE1 SLR camera. When we got married, we met a great photographer who inspired me even more. I started taking photos when my husband and I got our DSLR camera back in 2005. I never really shared my photos. But lately, I've been introduced to photoblogging and I saw it to be a great way of expression. My photos are amateur but I hope to learn more as I blog and connect with people.

Schmap.com San Francisco Guide

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP