Sunday, June 26, 2011

Savory Weekend

We were planning to get away for the weekend--drive up to Yosemite National Park and meet my sister and her family there.  But the husband wasn't feeling very well on Friday night.  It would have been just fine if we were staying there for at least a night, but there wasn't any place to stay.  On summers, lodging in Yosemite is like precious commodity.  I have been trying to book a place for a month now and I couldn't find anything.  I was told that for some hotels inside the park, you have to reserve a year in advance.  So we were just going to do a day trip, but with Charles' condition, an 8-hour drive both ways is not such a good idea.  So we bailed.

We ended up with a weekend that was rather quiet and relaxing.  On Saturday, we checked out a local creperie called Crepevine for brunch.


They have a wide selection on their menu.  It look me a while to decide which one to get.


Lucas and I, hungry and waiting for our food.


I had the Santa Fe breakfast crepe made with grilled chicken-apple sausage, scrambled eggs, mushrooms, chives and provolone, and served with house potatoes and green salad.  It was a big plate and everything in it was good.


Charles got the New Orleans Benediction--fancy name for a crab cake benedict.  It was good but their hollandaise sauce didn't impress me much.


Lucas got himself a meal too--grilled cheese sandwich with french fries.  He ate some of the fries and maybe a fourth of the entire sandwich.

Sunday came and because we ate out all Saturday (we also went to a favorite Japanese place for dinner), I decided I should cook.


I started off the day with freshly baked corn bread.  I was going to make waffles and bacon, but when I opened the pantry to get some flour, I saw a box of corn meal.  And just like that, I had a change of heart.


This was my share.  It was so good with coffee.  This was brunch!

For dinner, I decided to have something light.  The day before, I got a nice-looking skirt steak at the groceries and immediately thought "tacos"!  I don't crave for Mexican food but when I want something different, tacos can be a good fix.  It's quick, easy to make and delicious.

How I made Mexican dinner today--


First, I grilled the skirt steak.


Then I have soft taco shells warmed up in the steamer.


I put a little bit of guacamole,


a little bit of sour cream,


put thin slices of the skirt steak,


and topped them with some home-made salsa.


And then I roll them up.  Beans or rice would be good in there too, but I didn't have them on mine.


This turned out good!  I think I'll make this more often.  This will be good to bring on picnics too.

But I did miss something today.  An ice-cold or blended margarita, served in a chilled glass with salt on the rim would have completed my Mexican meal.  Maybe next time...

4 comments:

Cindy June 27, 2011 at 5:44 PM  

what a yummy weekend feast liz... hope charles feels better...

Dee June 27, 2011 at 8:36 PM  

it's really not a good idea to be reading this and it's almost 12 noon. ahahahaha... droool worthy shots :)

**eat sa ko** :)

Liza July 23, 2011 at 4:33 PM  

Cindy said...
what a yummy weekend feast liz... hope charles feels better...


Cinds, I always look forward to weekends because I have more time to cook. On week days, you can't be too creative because time is limited.

Liza July 23, 2011 at 4:34 PM  

Dee said...
it's really not a good idea to be reading this and it's almost 12 noon. ahahahaha... droool worthy shots :)

**eat sa ko** :)


Dee, wa ka ni-order ug Mexican? Hehehe. Thanks ha!

Followers

Contributors

About This Blog

I got interested in photography when I met my husband. He loved photography since the 80's when he owned a Canon AE1 SLR camera. When we got married, we met a great photographer who inspired me even more. I started taking photos when my husband and I got our DSLR camera back in 2005. I never really shared my photos. But lately, I've been introduced to photoblogging and I saw it to be a great way of expression. My photos are amateur but I hope to learn more as I blog and connect with people.

Schmap.com San Francisco Guide

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP