Thursday, June 16, 2011

Third Career

Sample Photobook

There is nothing more fulfilling to me, a rookie photographer than to get a sweet message from a client expressing how much she loves the photos I took of her son and her family.

Juliet, a sister of a friend, asked me to take photos of her 5-month old son, Jerrod. She saw my photos of her niece in a banner and a "thank-you" card and loved them. She first asked if I was in the business and I just said "not really--not actively promoting it but I would do it if there is an opportunity". And so we made a deal. She followed up with an email, we worked out a schedule and we made it happen. The plan was to only have portraits taken of Jerrod but I suggested we might as well take family photos. I won't charge her extra for it. She said, "that would be nice, but I don't know how that will work. My older son will not cooperate."

3.5-year old Brandon

I spent about an hour and a half at their place. It was tough at first. Indeed, her older son did not want to work with us. They did everything they could to make him pose and smile--from promising him things to threatening him, those didn't work.  He had a little Fisher-Price camera with him (which was a real digital camera) and said he wants to be the one taking photos. So I had to make another deal with him--I let him take my photos and I take his. He agreed. So I took a spot, smiled for him, struck several poses while he clicked away with his Fisher-Price camera.  When all this was done, I said, "It's my turn!"
When the photos came out, I was pleased.  My friend, the boy's aunt was shocked to see that his nephew actually did pose for me. She said, "Wow, really??? He posed for you?"

5-month old Jerrod

I don't normally include prints in the package.  I don't want to deal with prints.  I give electronic copies on a DVD and leave it up to the clients to have them printed. I give them recommendations on where to get prints. It's cheaper for them that way.  But Juliet asked that I include prints so I did. It took a while for the prints to come back but it was worth the wait. The quality was so much better than the prints we could get form Walgreens or Costco.

Some pages of the sample Photobook

I gave Juliet a bonus Photobook too, which she didn't expect.  And this blew her away!  I had thought about creating a sample photobook and sell it as an add-on and saw an opportunity with Juliet's photos.  She loved it so much that she insisted to pay for it.  I nicely declined saying my brand is all over it, so she should keep it and show it off to her friends and family.  That's all I asked in return.  I think that was a good marketing move.  A friend of hers, who is expecting has asked me to take photos of her baby when she comes out.  Yay!

Another page from the book

Juliet thought I should make a career out of photography.  I have thought about that, but I don't know that I have everything I need to pursue it--the tools, the time and the energy.  But having it as a third career sounds doable.  It'll have to be a third--third only to my being mom and my full-time job at Thomson.

We'll see how it goes.  For now, I'll grab whatever opportunity comes my way, make the most of what I have and continue to be encouraged by happy clients like Juliet.

More photos of Juliet's baby and family are available at my Facebook Page.

10 comments:

konsuy June 16, 2011 at 5:23 PM  

liza, the book is so lovely, i say go for it. you have what it takes. i have always admired your talent. sure ko in time you will have heaps of clients. so proud.

Mommy Blogs June 16, 2011 at 10:51 PM  

You should do it Liz! Masuya gyud ko sa mga gipang picture-an nimo... It was such an honor that you took my sons' pictures when you came to visit! You are good with kids! So it would be a nice niche ;-)

Liza June 17, 2011 at 12:50 AM  

konsuy said...
liza, the book is so lovely, i say go for it. you have what it takes. i have always admired your talent. sure ko in time you will have heaps of clients. so proud.


Chi, I'm glad you like the book. Salamat ha! I am happy at how it turned out, but I am happier that my client loved it. Happiest na gyud knowing that you like it too! Hehe

Liza June 17, 2011 at 12:53 AM  

Mommy Blogs said...
You should do it Liz! Masuya gyud ko sa mga gipang picture-an nimo... It was such an honor that you took my sons' pictures when you came to visit! You are good with kids! So it would be a nice niche ;-)


Tiris, anhi na lagi diri sa SF para picturan nato si Raio! And maybe your family too! Thanks for the vote of confidence ha! I love taking photos of kids. That's how I started with photography baya--when I was expecting Lucas. :-)

Aileen June 17, 2011 at 1:42 AM  

Go for it, Liz! You are one amazing photographer. I really really love your pictures! Clean, perfect, and beautiful!

Dee June 17, 2011 at 2:26 AM  

I know i was MIA in the blog world for more than a month now.. but this bought me out of my shell.. ehehe... COM'ON LIZ!!! Go! Go! Go! :)

you definitely have the skill and the eye for it. and clients await! :)

proud of you dear friend :)

Cindy June 17, 2011 at 8:15 AM  

yeheyyy... i agree with everyone's love notes, you are one good photographer. i am positive you will do well. i am not pro myself (just on the side if clients really like my style), let me know if you want some help getting started --- sus, lami gyud kung duol ra ta liz, it would be super fun digging into this business.

Liza June 18, 2011 at 1:02 AM  

Aileen said...
Go for it, Liz! You are one amazing photographer. I really really love your pictures! Clean, perfect, and beautiful!


Oh, Aileen--you are so generous with your compliments. Thank you so much! Can you tell that I'm still using your Actions? I'm using it for commercial purposes na gyud, Ai! Dapat charge-an na gyud ko nimo (pero ayaw lang sa, hehehe). :-)

Liza June 18, 2011 at 1:04 AM  

Dee said...
I know i was MIA in the blog world for more than a month now.. but this bought me out of my shell.. ehehe... COM'ON LIZ!!! Go! Go! Go! :)

you definitely have the skill and the eye for it. and clients await! :)

proud of you dear friend :)


Dee, unlike you, no clients await for me. Hahaha! But hopefully someday they will come. Thank you for the encouraging words. Lipay ko nga nibalik ka sa blogs to read this. Hehe!

Liza June 18, 2011 at 1:06 AM  

Cindy said...
yeheyyy... i agree with everyone's love notes, you are one good photographer. i am positive you will do well. i am not pro myself (just on the side if clients really like my style), let me know if you want some help getting started --- sus, lami gyud kung duol ra ta liz, it would be super fun digging into this business.


Cinds, I can always be your virtual partner! Hehe. Your business is taking off. Ingna unya ko kung naa ka gig diri sa Bay Area. I'm happy to be your assistant! :-)

Followers

Contributors

About This Blog

I got interested in photography when I met my husband. He loved photography since the 80's when he owned a Canon AE1 SLR camera. When we got married, we met a great photographer who inspired me even more. I started taking photos when my husband and I got our DSLR camera back in 2005. I never really shared my photos. But lately, I've been introduced to photoblogging and I saw it to be a great way of expression. My photos are amateur but I hope to learn more as I blog and connect with people.

Schmap.com San Francisco Guide

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP