Monday, February 20, 2012

Lately


I can't believe this is my first post for the year.  Wow, the months have definitely gone by fast.  Almost a quarter of the year has come and gone.

***

Lately, I've been thinking.  I spend too much of my spare time Facebooking.  Yet I feel that I don't really get much from Facebook other than updates from my family and friends who I often talk to anyway.  I learn about what people do and like.  I post photos and tell people what I think.  But what do they really care?  My husband once told me that he thinks most people go to Facebook not to connect with friends, but to brag about themselves and what they have.  As someone who visits Facebook at least twice a day, I look at myself and realize there is some truth to what my husband says.  I, and I'm sure many others, go to Facebook to show off.  Show off what I have, what I know and what I can do.  Show off our beautiful kids and how amazing we think they are.  Show off where we went, what we eat, who we're with and what we buy.  Show off the gifts we give and the gifts we take.

Don't get me wrong--there is absolutely nothing wrong with showing off.  Some people work so hard for what they have and what they have become, they have every right in the world to be proud of it.  Besides, I'll always be first to say that if you've got it, flaunt it!

Lately, I've made a realization that Facebook is so successful because it provides people an avenue to feel good about themselves.

***

At the start of the year, I committed to myself to read more.  Unlike Facebook, I find that reading makes me more aware. And when I am aware, I am more confident--something that I need so bad to be successful for what I do. But where have I been with my readings?  I asked the husband to buy us the autobiography of Steve Jobs (we are both fans) right after it came out.  Until now, I've probably only flipped a page or two.  It's in my bedside now, looking miserable and accumulating dust.

I've ordered business year-end reports and a subscription to the Law Technology magazine (my line of work is in the Law and Software industry).  I've read one issue on a long flight.  The rest of the issues are starting to pile up in my office--still waiting to be touched.

Lately, I have renewed my commitment to myself to start doing more reading.  And maybe write to my blog more often.

***


Lately, I've been feeling more and more excited about our upcoming trip home.  Finally, I will experience Cebu and my beloved Bohol again.  What is more exciting about this trip is that all of us are coming home at the same time, including my brother, my sister and their families.  I can hardly wait!

***

Lately, I've been feeling uncertain about my job.  I still love what I do.  But there has been way too many changes at work, that I feel like everything is brand new.  To me, with brand new comes uncertainty.  I thought at one time I've seen what my future is like at this company.  But now I think that future has changed.  It could be better though, but again it is uncertain.

***

Lately, I've been troubled by the news of a good friend's troubled marriage--something I never saw coming.  I thought they would forever remain a couple.  I had always been jealous about how close and loving they were, and about how good they were with their kids.  I still can't believe what's happening is happening and when I think about their kids, the younger one is Lucas' age, my heart bleeds.

***

Lately, I've been feeling so much love from people around me, my husband most especially.  He has always been kind and giving, but lately he has been very sweet, gentle, considerate and attentive.  I don't know if it's the air that the love month brings, but I sure hope it continues.  My life with him has been wonderful, and it only gets better everyday.

***

Lately, God has given me so many reasons to be grateful!

8 comments:

Cindy February 20, 2012 at 12:52 PM  

Oh i feel almost/somewhat the same liz, i wish i can just copy your blog entry, LOL.

I am excited for your big homecoming... when is it going to be? wish we can come too :)

konsuy February 20, 2012 at 3:36 PM  

nothing compares to the excitement of a homecoming. perhaps that is why i feel so bored at the office too. hihi. the boys are as excited as me. my parents are planning each day ahead of us. my sister is preparing vitamins kuno para makalahutay mi sa over planning sa akong mom. perhaps it is her who will need it as she after all will be implementing them. even if we don't get to see each other, i'm sure we will be following your footsteps, a reunion in bohol and a tearful goodbye in cebu. take care liz and yes i so agree with charles. i categorize the postings on facebook that i subscribe to para it doesn't get covered up with all the rubbish the kids posts nowadays.

Liza February 20, 2012 at 10:41 PM  

Cindy said...
Oh i feel almost/somewhat the same liz, i wish i can just copy your blog entry, LOL.

I am excited for your big homecoming... when is it going to be? wish we can come too :)


Hi Cinds! We are going home in June. Richard and wife will have their church wedding June 2nd. I am so excited. I haven't been home since Lucas. Before Lucas, I used to go home every year. How about you? Any homecoming plans yet?

Liza February 20, 2012 at 10:45 PM  

konsuy said...
nothing compares to the excitement of a homecoming. perhaps that is why i feel so bored at the office too. hihi. the boys are as excited as me. my parents are planning each day ahead of us. my sister is preparing vitamins kuno para makalahutay mi sa over planning sa akong mom. perhaps it is her who will need it as she after all will be implementing them. even if we don't get to see each other, i'm sure we will be following your footsteps, a reunion in bohol and a tearful goodbye in cebu. take care liz and yes i so agree with charles. i categorize the postings on facebook that i subscribe to para it doesn't get covered up with all the rubbish the kids posts nowadays.


Nice unta to mag-abot ta, Chi! Pero sige lang. I'm sure we'll have plenty of stories to share. Hala, I think kamo ni Tiris tingale mag-abot. I'm not so sure of her exact dates but she's going home in the summer too! I am beyond excited. We bought our tickets today. I'm also excited to meet our friends there, especially those who I've only met online--like Aileen and Mai. I hope they will see me! :-)

Cindy February 21, 2012 at 7:01 AM  

we've been going home every 2years (and this is of course that year)... that's how we've been since mommy is in PI, and that i am trying to keep that promise. we are just hoping our sched request will work out well, *crossing that finger*... though we're planning sa july pa liz... naa pa man school ella until middle of june. sayang, kadungan unta ta :)

ohhh, i am excited for richard and wife hanna, right :)

Aileen February 22, 2012 at 2:40 AM  

Such good new about your homecoming! :)

Liza February 23, 2012 at 1:49 AM  

Aileen said...
Such good new about your homecoming! :)


Hello Ai! May I meet you when I'm there? I plan to visit our office in Manila so might stay there for a day or two. I'll be in Bohol and Cebu most of the time. I really hope to finally meet you!

Liza February 23, 2012 at 1:51 AM  

Cindy said...
we've been going home every 2years (and this is of course that year)... that's how we've been since mommy is in PI, and that i am trying to keep that promise. we are just hoping our sched request will work out well, *crossing that finger*... though we're planning sa july pa liz... naa pa man school ella until middle of june. sayang, kadungan unta ta :)


Sayanga uy! But you think mag-abot pa ta? We are coming back here June 24th pa!

Followers

Contributors

About This Blog

I got interested in photography when I met my husband. He loved photography since the 80's when he owned a Canon AE1 SLR camera. When we got married, we met a great photographer who inspired me even more. I started taking photos when my husband and I got our DSLR camera back in 2005. I never really shared my photos. But lately, I've been introduced to photoblogging and I saw it to be a great way of expression. My photos are amateur but I hope to learn more as I blog and connect with people.

Schmap.com San Francisco Guide

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP