Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Rage

Dear Chelo,

I cannot thank you enough for being so generous with sharing your expertise in the kitchen.  Your "Rage Chicken" is unbelievably delicious!  It's a killer! And you are right about it being very close in taste to the San Pedro lechon manok that we both so love.


I added a few things to your recipe, not because the recipe is lacking--it's not, but because I always just want to put my own twist in every recipe that I try.

Here's what I added/modified:
  • Used cornish game hen instead of the regular chicken (it's what I had available and I always buy game hen because it seems that it has less fat)
  • Used fresh rosemary (only because I have so much of them growing in the backyard)
  • Substituted half of the oyster sauce with Mama Sita's Barbeque marinade (because I love the sweet-savory taste of this marinade)
  • Added a little bit of honey (only because I put honey in pretty much everything)
  • Marinated the chicken overnight
  • Added melted butter to the marinade that I used to baste the chicken (because I want to fry the skin a little bit)

The result?  Such tender, juicy and very tasty roasted chicken!  I'm glad I cooked two at once.  Otherwise, we won't have anything left for lunch tomorrow.


I kept the other chicken longer in the oven because I wanted a slightly overcooked, perfectly caramelized skin.  It was so good! And you were right--just one slice and look at all that juice!


We ended up eating dinner a little late today because I didn't get home from work until 6.  But the wait was definitely worth it.  I paired the chicken with steamed rice and slightly sauteed broccoli with shrimp, and dinner was perfect!  Our hungry stomachs didn't just get filled, they were pleasantly satisfied.

Again--many, many, many, many thanks!

Your big fan,
Liza

8 comments:

Chelo February 24, 2012 at 12:04 PM  

Hahaha, Liz, isnt it yummy? and its soooo juicy pa gyud;-)

I love this chicken too..and weird because i crave this, and i love having it with bahaw rice, or hot rice;-)

thank you for sharing your tweaks in the recipe..

enjoy this;-) more recipes to be shared soon..;-)

Liza February 24, 2012 at 1:30 PM  

Chelo said...
Hahaha, Liz, isnt it yummy? and its soooo juicy pa gyud;-)


Chel, "yummy and juicy" is an understatement. :-)

konsuy February 24, 2012 at 11:01 PM  

all this food in your blog is making me want to fly to san rafael and the old post office in norfolk =)

ako ang mo kaon sa tanan ninyong luto-on. hehe

Liza February 25, 2012 at 7:49 PM  

konsuy said...
all this food in your blog is making me want to fly to san rafael and the old post office in norfolk =)


Chi, kitang duha nalang mangadto sa old post office sa Norfolk. I'm sure mas lami ang pagkaon didto! :-)

Chelo February 26, 2012 at 8:32 AM  

dearest chichi and liz;-) you and your families are both very welcome here;-)

Cindy February 27, 2012 at 11:24 AM  

oh man, you guys just makes me so hungry right now...

thanks liz, and chelo for sharing the recipe... i will someday get back to this and try it out myself...

your photo says it all liz... yumminess!!!

Liza April 11, 2012 at 11:25 PM  

Chelo said...
dearest chichi and liz;-) you and your families are both very welcome here;-)


Yay, Chel! I will really take you up on that! Someday...puhon...

Liza April 11, 2012 at 11:27 PM  

Cindy said...
oh man, you guys just makes me so hungry right now...

thanks liz, and chelo for sharing the recipe... i will someday get back to this and try it out myself...

your photo says it all liz... yumminess!!!


Thank you, Cinds! You always appreciate my work--both my cooking and my photos! I am very flattered, especially as you are one good cook and photographer as well!

Followers

Contributors

About This Blog

I got interested in photography when I met my husband. He loved photography since the 80's when he owned a Canon AE1 SLR camera. When we got married, we met a great photographer who inspired me even more. I started taking photos when my husband and I got our DSLR camera back in 2005. I never really shared my photos. But lately, I've been introduced to photoblogging and I saw it to be a great way of expression. My photos are amateur but I hope to learn more as I blog and connect with people.

Schmap.com San Francisco Guide

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP