Wednesday, June 17, 2009

From A Distance

***Richard & Hannah -- Baker Beach, San Francisco***

It doesn't seem so long ago when my brother Richard was literally the baby in the family. He's our only brother and he's the youngest so he got a lot of attention not only from our parents but also from us, his sisters.

I remember him being so frail and unwell as an infant. He was allergic to milk of almost any kind--breastmilk, baby formula, cow's milk--doctors tried to feed him different kinds but it would only give him a really bad case of diarrhea. He spent months at the Cebu Doctors Hospital with only IV/dextrose as his supply of food and fluid--without it he would get dehydrated. We didn't think he would survive, until one doctor found a kind of milk that hadn't been tried on my brother yet. It was goat's milk and it made him well.

I remember how our relatives, friends and even the nurses and doctors at the hospital gave him a nickname "Kanding" (Goat) because he only fed on goat's milk. When it was time for him to have solid food, my parents would feed him with goat's meat--blended or pureed after being cooked.

Even after he survived, he grew up very fragile. I remember how an easy fall or a mere stumble turned into a convulsion. I remember the trips to the ER each time he had a seizure. But as he got older, his body got stronger as well. Now, to my knowledge, he has no more allergies and hasn't been ill in a long time.

As the youngest in the family and the only boy among as kids, he was the object of both attention and ridicule. I remember how my sister and I always made fun of him. We would bully him and tell him he's gay until he cried. I remember how we would find him sleepwalking and the next day he would not stop hearing about it. I remember how I took him riding on a borrowed bike when I just learned how to ride and I drove him off a cliff. We both ended up with minor injuries but I had to deal with a major punishment.

We thought he would turn out to be a spoiled brat, but no. He turned out to be one loving son and brother. In college, he joined me in Dumaguete and went to the same university I attended. So I had to look out for him. He never argued with me on anything. He never complained about my rules or the food that I served despite the lack of variety as we had to live on a very tight budget. I'd give him 75 pesos in weekly allowance, which I know was realistically enough for just a day, but he would take it and make do with it. He was a very driven student. He made a lot of friends and was very happy. He didn't let anything get in his way. He worked hard, finished college and made us all proud.

I feel that it hasn't been long since then, but now he has grown up and ready to take on more responsibilities. He's found love and has made a commitment to start his own family and settle down. I can't help but feel proud that my once sickly and skinny little brother has now become a fine young gentleman with a nice girl in his arms.

I wish him well! I wish them both well! And even as he moves on, starts a new life and makes memories of his own, he will always remain my little brother and I will continue to look out for him--from a distance.

***Richard, Hannah and our parents -- Exploratorium, San Francisco***

________________________________________

Photos:  I had the pleasure of taking their engagement/wedding photos during their last visit to San Francisco.  My parents tagged along and my dad was my assistant.  We had a blast!  The couple is so much fun to work with.  More photos here.

11 comments:

Shutterfairy June 17, 2009 at 6:43 PM  

This is such a loving entry Liz..
Love the photos..

Aileen June 17, 2009 at 10:31 PM  

This is such a heartwarming entry, Liz. It's evident that you love him so much, and I think that's why he grew up to be such a good person.

The photos are awesome! He's lucky to have you take their engagement photos. =)

konsuy June 17, 2009 at 11:00 PM  

it is good ikaw ilang photographer. richard is comfortable and the shots went very well. swerte kaayo richard sa iyang mga sisters.

Life+Style by C. Dacua-Ellazar Photography June 18, 2009 at 9:11 AM  

owww, i feel the heartwarming entry liz.. i think kahinumdom ko about the gay thing when we were growing up... hahaha...

congratulations chard and hannah!!!

btw, loving all the photo's liz... those two pics you posted here is my favorite... the one with your parents [nang ludy and nong cardo] is one great family photo --- great capture of a loving family =)

Liza June 19, 2009 at 1:57 AM  

Mai--thank you!

Liza June 19, 2009 at 2:00 AM  

Ai--nice ang photos kay nice man sad daan ang views. But the photographer is so amateur, so I am so flattered that you like the photos 'coz your wedding photos are really awesome!

My bro will start planning for his church wedding soon and they've decided to do it in Cebu. Can I recommend you for a wedding photographer? :-)

Liza June 19, 2009 at 2:01 AM  

Thanks Chi--swerte sad mi sa among brother. He is such a very sweet person :-)

Liza June 19, 2009 at 2:02 AM  

Hi Cinds--hahaha! Yeah--cya ra'y lalaki natong tanan so maybe that's why we wanted to turn him into a girl!

JoPiE June 19, 2009 at 8:08 AM  

HAHAHA! malingaw ko's imong mga storya about richard.

it's hard to believe he was once sickly and fragile, looking at him now.

congratulations and best wishes to richard and hannah! :-)

Better Than Coffee June 21, 2009 at 8:13 AM  

great photo! i love it.

love,
nobe

www.deariago.com
www.iamnobe.wordpress.com

Richard June 22, 2009 at 2:28 AM  

Ate Liza, Thank you so much for this very wonderful entry. Words are not enough to tell you how much I really appreciate everything you've done for me all these years. I am indeed very lucky and grateful to have you as my sister, and I am truly blessed to have the most loving and caring family, whom has never stopped looking after me and supporting me - I know it in my heart that I wouldn't be where I am right now if not because of you. I love you. Our family is growing and getting big now, and I couldn't be more happier!

te, everyone around here are really amazed by the photos you took and how good they turned out. my friends keep asking me where'd we get a professional photographer and how much it cost us! : ) you did a very good job te, Thank you for making it so special for me and Hannah.

Followers

Contributors

About This Blog

I got interested in photography when I met my husband. He loved photography since the 80's when he owned a Canon AE1 SLR camera. When we got married, we met a great photographer who inspired me even more. I started taking photos when my husband and I got our DSLR camera back in 2005. I never really shared my photos. But lately, I've been introduced to photoblogging and I saw it to be a great way of expression. My photos are amateur but I hope to learn more as I blog and connect with people.

Schmap.com San Francisco Guide

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP