Sunday, January 3, 2010

Holiday Cooking



The Prime Rib roast I served for Christmas Eve dinner that got the hubby bragging and deciding that he is not going to the House of Prime Rib (our favorite steak house) anymore.

The one thing I look forward to during the holiday season is the food.  The holidays give me an excuse to have lots of food.  It gives me a good reason to cook--to cook for my family and to cook for others.  We also love to entertain.  We love having people around.

The hub recently told me that I've become more and more efficient when it comes to hosting dinners or parties.  In the past, I used to over-prepare!  I'd cook so much food that I'd find myself cooking an entire day and still end up serving dinner late (because I won't finish on time).  The food would be fine but not great!  I would not enjoy dinner because I'd keep worrying about what I forgot or messed up.  In the end, I'd be begging my guests to bring food home and yet we'd still have a refrigerator full of leftovers enough to feed us for an entire week!  I'd retire for the day feeling totally exhausted!  Throwing parties and hosting dinners would stress me out.

These past experiences have taught me one thing--our guests don't really care how much variety of food I make.  What they care most about [apart from the company and the conversations] is that they're filled and that the food is good.

So I've since changed how I prepare dinners.  I'd have a couple of appetizers--ones that are either so easy and quick to prepare or something ready-made that just needs to be warmed in the oven.  Depending on who my guests are I'd either have soup or salad or I'd skip both.  I'd cook two main dishes and two quick-and-easy side dishes--one carbs (rice, pasta, potatoes) and one veggies.  I'd either buy or make dessert.


I decided to serve beef and seafood for Christmas because we had pork and bird for Thanksgiving.  This Cioppino was slightly overcooked but it didn't fail to impress.  One of my guests said this was better than any Cioppino he's had from Monterey or the Fisherman's Wharf.  He's obviously never been to the Sardines Factory in Monterey because they have, by far, the best Cioppino in town (my opinion)!  

This really worked so well!  This past holiday, I didn't start cooking until 4 or 5 in the afternoon (except for Thanksgiving when I had to put the turkey in the oven at noon).  But since most of my main dishes were either broiled or roasted in the oven, I spent most of my cooking time making the side dishes and setting the dinner table.  I even had plenty of time Facebooking and playing with Lucas in between cookings.  Entertaining has suddenly become so much fun and totally stress-free!  The best thing about it is that I got to spend quality time with the guests and enjoy the conversations as well as the food!  And because I wasn't rushing and stressing out, the food also turned out better!

Oh, this just makes me love cooking more!  And I look forward to making more dinners and sharing more meals with the people I love!


A plateful of goodness!  I've always wanted to enjoy my own cooking.  I think I've just learned how to do that.

14 comments:

konsuy January 3, 2010 at 4:44 AM  

lami-a tan-awon sa imong beef roast oi. galaway na gyud ko ay.

anything you put your heart into always turns out great.

Life+Style by C. Dacua-Ellazar Photography January 3, 2010 at 7:35 AM  

very yummy holiday food liz...

we had to settle with filipino dishes for our holiday food liz... scared to try different cuisine then ruining the holiday dinner {and the girls gusto filipino food as always, especially the little one} --- ingon ani mi sa balay kung mag prepare, after deciding the menu "muka-on ba mga bata ana?".. that's our everyday line, LOL.

Life+Style by C. Dacua-Ellazar Photography January 3, 2010 at 7:36 AM  

oppppss... by the way, the photos are great!!!

JoPiE January 4, 2010 at 11:27 AM  

cuz, i can attest to the fact that you and charles really know how to entertain! you are such great hosts! and the food -- yes, lami gyud! too bad we weren't able to go to any of your holiday parties. this year, perhaps?

i'm the total opposite. i don't have any talents in the kitchen, hehe.

HAPPY NEW YEAR AND ADVANCE HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Liza January 4, 2010 at 7:10 PM  

JoPiE said...
cuz, i can attest to the fact that you and charles really know how to entertain! you are such great hosts! and the food -- yes, lami gyud! too bad we weren't able to go to any of your holiday parties. this year, perhaps?

Thanks cuz! YES--we should plan on spending the holidays together this year! That will be FUN! And our chikitings will be bigger then and playing more!

Liza January 4, 2010 at 7:12 PM  

konsuy said...
...anything you put your heart into always turns out great.

I couldn't agree more! Thank you, Chi! Anhi na lagi diri para lutuan tika! :-)

Liza January 4, 2010 at 7:15 PM  

Cindy said...
--- ingon ani mi sa balay kung mag prepare, after deciding the menu "muka-on ba mga bata ana?".. that's our everyday line, LOL.

I can understand how it is when the kids are older. I can imagine this happening to us too! We'll have to set aside what we want and make sure we have something that the kids can eat! Charles and I are big steak lovers and one time he said "Mukaon ba kaha si Lucas ug steak noh?" Hehe...

Lynette January 7, 2010 at 4:59 AM  

Liz, share sa recipe. kalami tan awon uy! yum!!!!

Liza January 8, 2010 at 10:21 PM  

Lynette said...
Liz, share sa recipe. kalami tan awon uy! yum!!!!

Hey Nette! Sayon ra kaayo! Marinate the prime rib with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder, preferably overnight. Then roast at 350 degrees F for about 2 hour or until internal temperature is 135 degrees F. Let stand for about 5 minutes before serving! :-)

Liza January 8, 2010 at 10:22 PM  

*2 hours*

Lynette January 17, 2010 at 1:08 PM  

Wonderful!!!! Now, unsa'y proportions? :-) How many tbsp/tsp of which?

Thank you Liz!!!!

photosandmemos January 18, 2010 at 11:44 PM  

Adrian would salivate to look at that perfectly cooked roast bef (he likes his medium rare/rare just like that)..

Liza January 28, 2010 at 5:40 PM  

Lynette said...
Wonderful!!!! Now, unsa'y proportions? :-) How many tbsp/tsp of which?


Yikes, wala raba ko'y sukod-sukod, Nette! Sorry. All I do is just season the entire rib rack with salt and pepper (all sides of it).

Liza January 28, 2010 at 5:52 PM  

photosandmemos said...
Adrian would salivate to look at that perfectly cooked roast bef (he likes his medium rare/rare just like that)..


Hey Chel! Thanks! I am so flattered! I like mine medium well--just a little pinkish, but my hub likes it medium or medium rare! Bloody steak! ;-) You use "bloody" a lot in London, don't you? My former boss was British and he used to say "Bloody Hell!" a LOT!

Followers

Contributors

About This Blog

I got interested in photography when I met my husband. He loved photography since the 80's when he owned a Canon AE1 SLR camera. When we got married, we met a great photographer who inspired me even more. I started taking photos when my husband and I got our DSLR camera back in 2005. I never really shared my photos. But lately, I've been introduced to photoblogging and I saw it to be a great way of expression. My photos are amateur but I hope to learn more as I blog and connect with people.

Schmap.com San Francisco Guide

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP