Thursday, August 30, 2012

Lost


I got lost biking a few days ago. I was exploring trails and found one on the internet that looks like a scenic one.  I followed it. A few miles later, I found myself at a dead end of a road, right at the foot of a hill.  I've already biked for 40 minutes and going back would take me another 40 minutes, which I thought was going to be too long. I pulled out my iPhone to see if there was another route I could take only to realize that there was no cell phone reception in that area.  Crap!

Then I found a hiker who said she lives close by. I asked if she knew of another way to go to Lucas Valley Road (the part of the trail that supposedly leads to home).  I am one who is never shy about asking directions. She said it was very close. It's on the other side of the hill, and the quickest way to get there was through the hill. Otherwise, I'd have to go back.  

So I had a choice between riding back or hiking through the hill with my bike in tow. That afternoon, I was supposed to pick up Lucas from day care so I chose the latter, which was supposedly a quicker option. I was wrong. The hike turned out to be miserable. I went through dirt roads, boulders, gravel and very steep paths, I slid down so many times!  I was not even halfway yet I was so exhausted. A mountain biker passed by and wished me a good ride. I tried to respond but no voice came out of me. I had completely dried out my throat! It was so hot that day and ran out of water. It then dawned on me that the trail I took was a mountain bike trail, designed for off-road riders--pro level at that. It was too late to go back. I had to go on. 

Long story short, I managed to reach the top of the hill and what a relief it was! I survived! And not only did I find a perfect view of San Rafael, Marin County, the East Bay and San Francisco from afar (photo above), I also got my cell phone reception back, which allowed me to call the husband and ask him to pick up Lucas. Going downhill from up there wasn't as bad as going up. 

It was that time when I questioned myself, "what on earth did you get yourself into?!" It was also that time when I realized that I live in such a beautiful neighborhood that ought to be explored more. 

0 comments:

Followers

Contributors

About This Blog

I got interested in photography when I met my husband. He loved photography since the 80's when he owned a Canon AE1 SLR camera. When we got married, we met a great photographer who inspired me even more. I started taking photos when my husband and I got our DSLR camera back in 2005. I never really shared my photos. But lately, I've been introduced to photoblogging and I saw it to be a great way of expression. My photos are amateur but I hope to learn more as I blog and connect with people.

Schmap.com San Francisco Guide

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP