Saturday, August 1, 2009

Goodbye...For Now


My parents are going home to the Philippines in three weeks--something we hoped would not happen until three more months from now. Our request to extend their stay in the US did not get approved for reasons I will not even start mentioning here because none of them made any sense to me. So sadly, they will have to leave the country rather soon.

Apparently, the Homeland Security personnel who was tasked to make a decision on whether to grant or deny our request wasn't considerate enough. Or maybe he/she was just too shallow to understand our intent and so he/she chose to interpret it his/her own way, which obviously did not work to our advantage. They should have at least checked the records of their prior visits--my parents always left on time and never extended. This time, although my parents provided proof that they will leave the country on a certain date, the adjudicator said it is still not evidence that they intend to stay here only temporarily. How exactly do you prove intent?

What I don't understand is why people like my parents, who follow the rules and take the time to go through all the shenanigans of filing an application to extend with a valid enough reason would be denied such extension. Homeland Security should at least appreciate the fact that despite their lousy efforts to control the upsurge of illegal immigrants in their country (because it's fairly easy to be an illegal immigrant here), there are still some people like my parents who are honest and compliant enough to ensure that every single day they spend here is legitimate. Unfortunately, they don't appreciate that!

If I sound so bitter about this, it's because I am! I am upset not only because I thought I won't have to worry about someone watching Lucas when I go back to work (I'd hate to send him off to daycare at such a tender age) but more importantly because I am bummed that while some of us value our family a great deal, others don't even understand the concept of it. Maybe the adjudicator doesn't get the importance of bringing family together or maybe he/she is just living a miserable life and so he/she wants others to be miserable as well.

My heart is breaking right now. The thought of my parents leaving so soon makes me feel terribly sad. In fact, writing this is so darn difficult. I wasn't prepared for this--I thought they were going to be with us much longer. Today, I saw my dad start packing and I just couldn't hold back tears, I had to hide. I miss them already! I worry so much about them when they're back home--when they're by themselves. This is the time when I wish I hadn't come to the US at all!

So I guess it's goodbye for now. But I comfort myself by thinking that they'll be back soon and I really hope they will.

_____________

Photo:  My parents with Lucas and my nephew, Nathan at Bonfante Falls, Gilroy Gardens, California

10 comments:

Shutterfairy August 1, 2009 at 4:31 AM  

Liz, like you.. I don't understand reasons given by the authority behind those papers that give us heaven even just for awhile.

I do wish too that the homeland security personnel gave your parents credit for following the rules.

Sigh.

hiddenrage August 1, 2009 at 6:54 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
photosandmemos August 1, 2009 at 6:58 AM  

i feel for you Liz. im going through the same thing. i cannot understnd, why there are illegal immigrants who can get away with everything, and us, who go through the proper channels (no shortcuts) always get it in the neck.

i cant believe the woman/man who read the application for extension???isnt it more justifiable that these people applied coz their new grandson is born and they need to be around to help with family matters i.e. baby sit when the mom works? isnt that an honorable intent?

and they turn a blind eye to people (nagkalata) who are illegal immigrants. it frustrates me to the highest level.

keep praying Liz,im raying with you..

Life+Style by C. Dacua-Ellazar Photography August 1, 2009 at 7:09 AM  

I am sorry to hear on this liz... mga bopols gyud ng taga-immigration. i never heard though nga nag-deny sila og request para mag-pa-extend.

let's hope this trip to PI will be just quick. i bet nong cardo and nang ludy are sad to leave the 2 boys too. just hang in there liz, in due time balik na sad sila *hugs*.

oh poor baby lucas has to stay in daycare. i know this is a very tough decision but sometimes these scenario just leave you no choice [i feel both you and charles for we have little ones too *sigh*].

it will be ok liz, you just have to do what you got to do *pat in the back*.

Liza August 1, 2009 at 4:18 PM  

Mai.Mai said...

...I do wish too that the homeland security personnel gave your parents credit for following the rules.

_____________

Wa gyud Mai! Wa gyud sila ni-consider. In the past, I heard it was really easy to file an extension. I don't know for sure because this is the first time we've done it. Unfortunately, they didn't give us a very good response.

Liza August 1, 2009 at 4:33 PM  

photosandmemos said...

...and they turn a blind eye to people (nagkalata) who are illegal immigrants. it frustrates me to the highest level.

keep praying Liz,im raying with you..

_____________

Would you believe Chel that there were even talks in gov't about providing healthcare to illegal immigrants??? Even if I'm one of those who followed the rules without shortcuts, I am personally not against illegal immigrants. I just wish that the government would appreciate and be more lenient with those who make an effort to be legit! And you know what's worse? They mentioned in their response something like "we were not able to establish that my parents will not turn out to be a PUBLIC CHARGE". Huwhaaattt?!?!?! Did they think I'd leave my parents begging on the streets and they'd become government responsibility??? Na-insulto jud ko pag-ayo! Lami kaayo tubagon "Don't you realize that tourists coming here help your economy? No wonder why we're having this recession...I wish you'll still have a job when my parents come back!" Hala, I'm ranting na gyud--not good. Sorry...got carried away.

Thanks for your prayers, Chel!

Liza August 1, 2009 at 4:43 PM  

Cindy said...

...I am sorry to hear on this liz... mga bopols gyud ng taga-immigration. i never heard though nga nag-deny sila og request para mag-pa-extend.

oh poor baby lucas has to stay in daycare.

it will be ok liz, you just have to do what you got to do *pat in the back*.

_____________

Thank you Cinds! Yeah--we really have no choice. Luoy kaayo si Lucas. Wala pa raba mi kakita ug Daycare.

It true, most of the people I know who filed for extension got approval pretty easily so wala gyud mi mag-expect nga dili ma-approve. I know of someone who filed for extension for exactly the same reasons, and they got approved. But like you said, maybe bopols tong person nga na-assign sa among case. Oh well...

konsuy August 2, 2009 at 1:53 AM  

hi liz, dili na diay na pwede ma appeal ilang decision? this is truly such a sad news. (rather maka pungot news) i'm sure dili lang ikaw gahilak inside, imong parents pud will worry about their apos when they are away. the should be lenient with families oi kay it is not like they had a bad record before. pag-ka-lousy gyud nila oi. i-ampo nalang na nato. and i do hope your parents are able to come back soonest.

JoPiE August 7, 2009 at 11:15 AM  

cuz, di na sad ka-abot silang tita and tito sa akong panganak. this is such sad news. makalagot kaayo oi! wa gyuy nada ang mga rason ilang gipanghatag! grrrrr.

Liza August 13, 2009 at 5:59 PM  

JoPiE said...
cuz, di na sad ka-abot silang tita and tito sa akong panganak. this is such sad news. makalagot kaayo oi! wa gyuy nada ang mga rason ilang gipanghatag! grrrrr.

_____________

Cuz, they were looking forward baya to visiting you at the hospital or at home and seeing your baby. Sige gani to ask si mama when daw imo baby shower and I told her we'll have to plan it pa, but maybe around October. Sayang jud kaayo! Makalagot!

Followers

Contributors

About This Blog

I got interested in photography when I met my husband. He loved photography since the 80's when he owned a Canon AE1 SLR camera. When we got married, we met a great photographer who inspired me even more. I started taking photos when my husband and I got our DSLR camera back in 2005. I never really shared my photos. But lately, I've been introduced to photoblogging and I saw it to be a great way of expression. My photos are amateur but I hope to learn more as I blog and connect with people.

Schmap.com San Francisco Guide

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP