Saturday, November 28, 2009

Thanksgiving This Year

Thanksgiving Dinner with Family

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays, although only second to Christmas. I like Thanksgiving not only because it gives me a 4-day weekend to spend with family, but also because I think it is such a great tradition that I wish we had also practiced back in the Philippines.

Thanksgiving Day is a harvest festival celebrated primarily in the US and Canada. Traditionally, it is a time to give thanks for the harvest and express gratitude in general. While perhaps religious in origin, Thanksgiving is now primarily identified as a secular holiday. (Source: Wikipedia)

While I think we should all give thanks everyday or every chance we get, I think it is also nice that we have a holiday like this to remind us to step back for a little bit, get our minds off work or day-to-day routine, think about our blessings and celebrate them and be thankful for them!

In the past, I'd spend Thanksgiving traveling--seeing places I have never been to or going back to places that I like. But as the years went by, we've shifted to spending Thanksgiving at home with family, friends and loved ones, and I think we're going to carry on this tradition in the years to come.

This year, I hosted Thanksgiving and I decided to keep it really small and intimate by having just my siblings and their families. It was great! The day was more relaxed and I didn't feel the pressure that I'd normally feel when hosting holiday gatherings. Besides, it was also Lucas' first Thanksgiving and we wanted to focus on making this meaningful for him--whatever that means, since he won't remember this anyway.

Lucas' First Thanksgiving

I marinated my turkey a day in advance so on Thanksgiving morning, I just threw it into the oven and spent the rest of the morning playing with Lucas and Nathan, Facebook-ing and texting some friends.



My table was already set as early as 2 o'clock in the afternoon. By 3 o'clock, the Turkey was done and my brother and his wife arrived shortly after.



I made mashed potatoes, mushroom gravy and green bean casserole while catching up with my brother. By 5:30, dinner was ready!

It was all-in-all a great dinner and a lovely celebration. We spent the rest of the evening just hanging out and catching up while also watching CNN Heroes where our fellow countryman Efren Penaflorida was honored as Hero of the Year! That was a proud moment for us and just another thing to be thankful for!

Surprisingly, we didn't feel tired and didn't want to retire for the night. So we decided to head down to the mall for some midnight shopping and check out what Black Friday sale was like this time of year.

Hope everyone else who celebrated Thanksgiving had a good one!

6 comments:

Shutterfairy November 28, 2009 at 3:28 AM  

Look at that Turkey.. so big. Hehehe..

Lucas is so cute.. and the shirt..

JoPiE November 29, 2009 at 2:17 AM  

looks like you had a great thanksgiving, cuz! lingaw kaayo mo tan-awon. it's nice that the three of you are here, and are able to celebrate holidays together. we have never had a decent thanksgiving celebration mainly because ben always works on that day. maybe next year i'll ask him to forego work. :-)

konsuy November 29, 2009 at 3:41 PM  

what a beautiful celebration indeed.
lucas always gets the cutest shirts. pwede mag model na gyud.

Liza November 30, 2009 at 10:57 PM  

Mai.Mai said...

Look at that Turkey.. so big. Hehehe..

Lucas is so cute.. and the shirt..

____________

Thanks Mai! Actually, the turkey was a small one. I picked the smallest one I could find at the store.

Liza November 30, 2009 at 10:59 PM  

JoPiE said...

...we have never had a decent thanksgiving celebration mainly because ben always works on that day. maybe next year i'll ask him to forego work. :-)

_____________

Sige lang, cuz kay naa man sad holiday pay si Ben, hehehe! But yeah--maybe next year celebrate nasad mo Thanksgiving. Benjamin will be 1 year old by then :-)

Liza November 30, 2009 at 11:01 PM  

konsuy said...
what a beautiful celebration indeed.
lucas always gets the cutest shirts. pwede mag model na gyud.

_____________

Hehe, maayo unta ma-discover si Lucas! Maybe that's the only way I can retire early, hehehe...

Followers

Contributors

About This Blog

I got interested in photography when I met my husband. He loved photography since the 80's when he owned a Canon AE1 SLR camera. When we got married, we met a great photographer who inspired me even more. I started taking photos when my husband and I got our DSLR camera back in 2005. I never really shared my photos. But lately, I've been introduced to photoblogging and I saw it to be a great way of expression. My photos are amateur but I hope to learn more as I blog and connect with people.

Schmap.com San Francisco Guide

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP