Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Training Lucas

Lucas at 5 months and 3 weeks

When Lucas was only a few weeks old, I remember wishing that he would grow faster. At that time Nathan was six months old and I liked that way he was at that age. It is the stage when they start learning new tricks, when they start becoming very attentive and when they interact and respond when you communicate.

Lucas is turning six months in one week and I can't help but be amazed at how much he has changed. What used to be a rather one-sided relationship between us has now developed into something truly interactive. He now responds to us as if he understands what we are telling him. He smiles back when we cheer him up and he would frown or cry when we scold him. He now reaches his arms when he wants us to pick him up or cuddle him. And he taps our face, head or back--whatever he can reach, when he wants to wake us up.

He now has mood swings too! At times, he would not let anyone touch him but me, other times he would get mad at me and only quiet down when with Charles. We have also started him on solid food and he has started telling us what he likes. We haven't introduced a lot of food variety to him yet but so far, he likes sweet potatoes the most.

What I am not so excited about is training Lucas on things and introducing discipline. For now I just want to give him all the love and attention and not worry about spoiling him. I guess it is easy to do this when you're a parent. Lately, we have let him sleep next to us even after he has already learned how to sleep on his own. And that is because we think we haven't reached the point where we need to start training him.

But now I know that he has almost gone past the stage of being spoil-proof. He is almost at a stage when he will cry not only to communicate his needs, but also to purposely manipulate us or get something that he doesn't need. I was told that as parents we will know how to distinguish between the baby crying for something he needs or crying for something he wants, and it is up to us on how to respond to it knowing that the baby would start seeing a direct relationship between their action and our response.

Now we have to put him back to his crib and leave him alone in his room. We have to start listening closely to how he cries and respond accordingly. We have to endure his screaming and hear him cry out when we know he is just trying to get something he doesn't need. I don't know that I am looking forward to introducing discipline, to establishing patterns and setting limits. But I know it's something we have to deal with at some point and I'm afraid that will have to start soon.

15 comments:

Shutterfairy November 19, 2009 at 2:10 AM  

It's been six months na Liz?? dali.a ra oy...

The sixth month until two years old is my favorite part. You'll know why.

Aileen November 19, 2009 at 2:48 AM  

How fast they grow! I can imagine how amazing it is to see him grow, develop, and learn many new tricks.

He's so cute, Liz. Makagigil! :)

konsuy November 19, 2009 at 3:06 AM  

lucas is very smart. kibalo na mo hilak hilak blues. hehehe.

post new photos of charles carrying lucas. malingaw gyud ko tan-aw nilang duha. lucas looks different now at 5 months, ning charming na gyud siya pag-ayo.

Life+Style by C. Dacua-Ellazar Photography November 19, 2009 at 6:30 AM  

i know what you're talking about liz.. just carry on you and charles are doing great.

knowing both of you, i know lucas will grow to be a fine gentleman.

enjoy the joys of parenthood!

veryyy cute gyud kaayo si lucas uyyy =)

Liza November 19, 2009 at 2:21 PM  

Mai.Mai said...
It's been six months na Liz?? dali.a ra oy...

The sixth month until two years old is my favorite part. You'll know why.

_____________

Yes, Mai! Dali ra kaayo ang panahon. I can see why you like this stage and it's good to know that the next year and a half is still going to be exciting! What happens diay after two years?

Liza November 19, 2009 at 2:22 PM  

Aileen said...
How fast they grow! I can imagine how amazing it is to see him grow, develop, and learn many new tricks.

He's so cute, Liz. Makagigil! :)

_____________

Makalingaw Ai! Babies learn and does something new almost everyday and sometimes they do something "kataw-anan"! :-)

Liza November 19, 2009 at 2:24 PM  

konsuy said...
lucas is very smart. kibalo na mo hilak hilak blues. hehehe.

post new photos of charles carrying lucas. malingaw gyud ko tan-aw nilang duha. lucas looks different now at 5 months, ning charming na gyud siya pag-ayo.

_____________

I will post some photos of Charles and Lucas sa FB, Chi! I actually just took some 'coz Charles wanted a photo of him and Lucas for his profile photo sa FB. Ngano kaha dili cya ganahan nga naa ko apil? Hmmmm... ;-)

Liza November 19, 2009 at 2:26 PM  

Cindy said...

...knowing both of you, i know lucas will grow to be a fine gentleman.

_____________

Cinds, thanks for the vote of confidence! Charles and I are trying so hard to keep some balance between giving attention and not giving in too much. I really, really hope he turns out well. That would be my greatest wish!

Anonymous November 19, 2009 at 6:35 PM  

Your baby is sooo cute, Ate!

Liza November 23, 2009 at 4:33 PM  

KewlMomma said...

Your baby is sooo cute, Ate!

_____________

Thank you, Maris!

Mommy Blogs November 23, 2009 at 11:23 PM  

Liz, you can't love them enough hehehe! Enjoy parenthood =)

JoPiE November 25, 2009 at 1:07 AM  

oh yeah, i do believe in discipline and setting limits/boundaries. cuz, when do they stop being spoil-proof?

Liza November 26, 2009 at 2:57 AM  

Mommy Blogs said...
Liz, you can't love them enough hehehe! Enjoy parenthood =)

_____________

Hehe, I take it from the mommy--thank you, Tiris!

Liza November 26, 2009 at 3:02 AM  

JoPiE said...
oh yeah, i do believe in discipline and setting limits/boundaries. cuz, when do they stop being spoil-proof?

_____________

Hi Cuz, from what I read, they stop being spoil-proof at around 6 months. Mao sad ingon ni Ate. But I think it's different for every kid because each one's brain development is different. I think it's a matter of when they become more conscious and they start recognizing people's behaviors and how we respond to their actions. You will notice it when they start observing us and then you'll know it's time to train them.

Anonymous December 31, 2009 at 1:47 PM  

I set up Yahoo mobile, and now, the emails for that account appear to be going only to my iPhone and my Webmail, but no copies are going to my Mail server on my Apple laptop. Can you help me fix the settings?



________________
[url=http://unlockiphone22.com]unlock iphone[/url]

Followers

Contributors

About This Blog

I got interested in photography when I met my husband. He loved photography since the 80's when he owned a Canon AE1 SLR camera. When we got married, we met a great photographer who inspired me even more. I started taking photos when my husband and I got our DSLR camera back in 2005. I never really shared my photos. But lately, I've been introduced to photoblogging and I saw it to be a great way of expression. My photos are amateur but I hope to learn more as I blog and connect with people.

Schmap.com San Francisco Guide

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP