Friday, November 6, 2009

Remembering...

** The Palace of Fine Arts, San Francisco **

I've been quiet here lately because I've been very occupied at work. I traveled for the most part of the last two weeks and so every little time I can spend at home, I spend it with my son. But I miss everyone that I stalk here in the blog world and I miss blogging as well.

I meant to write about my Halloween experience here. This is way too outdated but bear with me because this has been in my mind for the last two weeks, and I just need to let it out.

Since I came to the US, Halloween has been a totally different experience. Or should I say--a brand new experience? We never celebrated Halloween back home, but we celebrated and observed All Saints' Day and All Souls' Day. For the past nine years, what used to be All Saints' and All Souls Day turned into Halloween, Costume Parties, Candies, Trick-or-treats and Mardi Gras at the Castro. This year, I was more excited about Halloween because for the first time, we had little ones to dress up. At work, we planned to have our kids over for a Halloween party. At home, I was expecting my sister and we were to take Lucas and Nathan trick-or-treating around the neighborhood. We got so excited about these little things that we forgot all about All Saints' and All Souls Day!

Halloween came and we called home to tell ma and pa what Lucas and Nathan were wearing, and to tell them to check Facebook because we just posted photos of the kids in their costumes. Mom got pretty upset when she learned that we did not even go to church. It felt horrible right there and then. Mom was right about everything. It was the time to remember our loved ones who passed away. It was the time to remember our unborn babies--those babies we miscarried and who we believe are now little angels watching over us and our families. We had a tradition that wasn't forced on us, but something that we believed and practiced growing up. And this time, we hardly remembered.

I had almost forgotten how important these holidays and traditions were back home, and how much I looked forward to it. We made All Souls' Day a lot of fun! We would all go back to our ancestral home in Loon, Bohol, cook a nice dinner and say the novena before the meal. We called this "Pahinungod sa mga Kalag". During the day, we would camp out at the cemetery, bring food and music, meet old friends and hear mass. Those were fun times and great memories!

Here, Lucas will have a different set of memories whether I like it or not. I don't know how much of our tradition I can share with him, but I do hope that he will at least know about it. As for me, I am grateful that I still have parents who remind me of things that I start to overlook. And I hope that someday, I can visit home on an All Saints' and All Souls' Day and experience the family tradition all over again!

7 comments:

konsuy November 12, 2009 at 2:23 AM  

it is always exciting to get to experience our children's first. first halloween, first christmas, first tooth...
but sagdi lang gud late, you have 1 year to pray for all your dearly departed bitaw but halloween only comes once. =) ga rationalize lagi. ", guilty pud diay.

konsuy November 12, 2009 at 2:23 AM  

it is always exciting to get to experience our children's first. first halloween, first christmas, first tooth...
but sagdi lang gud late, you have 1 year to pray for all your dearly departed bitaw but halloween only comes once. =) ga rationalize lagi. ", guilty pud diay.

konsuy November 12, 2009 at 2:46 AM  

nice kaayo ang imong photo sa palace of fine arts oi. i like the lighting effect. chada oi (si chester pa pa-ingnon)

JoPiE November 12, 2009 at 12:04 PM  

hala noh... bitaw. it's really different here. all souls' and all saints' days are supplanted by halloween. even i almost forgot about these two days meant for our dearly departed ones!

so much of traditions will be lost on our kids, cuz. it's kinda sad, but it's inevitable because we live in a totally different country.

Liza November 12, 2009 at 12:28 PM  

konsuy said...
it is always exciting to get to experience our children's first. first halloween, first christmas, first tooth...
but sagdi lang gud late, you have 1 year to pray for all your dearly departed bitaw but halloween only comes once. =) ga rationalize lagi. ", guilty pud diay.

_____________

Hahaha! Ikaw pud diay?! Pray na unya diha kay basin kalagon ta sa atong mga nakalimtan!

Liza November 12, 2009 at 12:32 PM  

konsuy said...
nice kaayo ang imong photo sa palace of fine arts oi. i like the lighting effect. chada oi (si chester pa pa-ingnon)

_____________

You can't go wrong with the pictures kay chada gyud bitaw ang place, Chi! This is one of my favorite spots sa San Francisco. One day I wish to go back there and take more photos--kanang dili pa kaayo dark.

Liza November 12, 2009 at 12:35 PM  

JoPiE said...

...so much of traditions will be lost on our kids, cuz. it's kinda sad, but it's inevitable because we live in a totally different country.

_____________

Yeah, it's a sad reality, cuz! We can always practice the tradition here. But then again, wala man ta'y menteryo nga bisitahon diri so it's never going to be the same.

Followers

Contributors

About This Blog

I got interested in photography when I met my husband. He loved photography since the 80's when he owned a Canon AE1 SLR camera. When we got married, we met a great photographer who inspired me even more. I started taking photos when my husband and I got our DSLR camera back in 2005. I never really shared my photos. But lately, I've been introduced to photoblogging and I saw it to be a great way of expression. My photos are amateur but I hope to learn more as I blog and connect with people.

Schmap.com San Francisco Guide

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP