Saturday, April 11, 2009

Holy Days

It is not how much we do,
but how much love we put in the doing.
It is not how much we give,
but how much love we put in the giving.

--Mother Teresa


Today, Good Friday is a holy day of obligation for us Catholics. But to me, it feels just like any ordinary day and it has been that way for years--since I moved to the US. Here we don't have holidays and non-working days during the Holy Week, so I have to go to work.

I remember my younger days when our family would observe Holy Week by going to church everyday for the entire week with the only exception of Saturday--the only day without mass or church activity. As a teenager, I wasn't so welcoming of the daily church trips and I envied some of my friends whose families would get away to Baguio or Tagaytay during the Holy Week. We didn't have the means to do so, but even if we did I highly doubt that my religious parents would even think about it. To them, it was a time to devote to God, to make sacrifices, to make amends, to spend time in prayer more than anything else.

I never thought I would miss those time, but I do now. I miss the Holy Week tradition we have back home--the processions, the days of abstinence when we would eat hot "champorado" or "binignit" for a meal, the Last Supper dinners on Holy Thursday when we would either pledge a dish or two for the priests or host dinner at our home, the Easter Vigil and the "Hugos" or "Sugat" where little kids dressed like angels sing in unison while one angel--the soloist, changes Mama Mary's black veil to white as a symbol of joy and celebration! I remember my little brother becoming that one angel, I still remember how he sang the song, how shaky his voice was, but how beautiful it sounded in the midst of the cold night.

Here we don't observe Holy Week the way we do back home, but I do remember well and one day I will experience it again and so will my kid(s).

11 comments:

Lynette April 11, 2009 at 6:32 AM  

love the photo!

and yes, it's true. here in the US, everything (not just the holy week) feels like it's just any other ordinary day... oh well. it's a give & take process, i guess?

Shutterfairy April 11, 2009 at 7:40 AM  

holy week for me liz, is spending time with family, praying, enjoying quiet days, sharing binignit, manga and puto with relatives.

Liza April 11, 2009 at 10:56 AM  

Thank you Nette! You're absolutely right--it's a give and take process. When we come here, we win some and we lose some.

Liza April 11, 2009 at 10:58 AM  

That's really what I miss the most Mai--the time with family and the "meatless" meals nga imbis abstinence, lami hinuon ug kaon, hehehe....

Aileen April 11, 2009 at 7:29 PM  

very nice photo, liz!

said a prayer for you this holy season. happy easter, lovely one! =)

Liza April 12, 2009 at 3:42 PM  

Thank you Ai! That is very nice of you! My prayer goes out to you as well.

Have a lovely Easter!!! =)

Lynette April 12, 2009 at 4:16 PM  

Liz - simang. Do you have shelfari?

Liza April 12, 2009 at 4:32 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
keth April 12, 2009 at 8:47 PM  

i like the photo liz! i miss holy week pinas celebration too. i suppose, we're a little blessed in this part of the world then because we observe holy week, and it is always a long weekend starting with thursday and finishing monday...but it's just not the same as pinas.

Liza April 12, 2009 at 9:50 PM  

Hi Nette! I don't have Shelfari. I haven't been reading a lot of books lately :-(

konsuy April 18, 2009 at 9:00 AM  

i miss binignit. although holy week is observed here, it is never the same back home. ilang easter eggs are the chocolate formed eggs not like the ones we cook and paint.
and they don't have sugat. ang important is the sacrament of reconciliation kay rebirth biya ang easter. unfortunately for us, we weren't able to do that either. we can make new family traditions.

Followers

Contributors

About This Blog

I got interested in photography when I met my husband. He loved photography since the 80's when he owned a Canon AE1 SLR camera. When we got married, we met a great photographer who inspired me even more. I started taking photos when my husband and I got our DSLR camera back in 2005. I never really shared my photos. But lately, I've been introduced to photoblogging and I saw it to be a great way of expression. My photos are amateur but I hope to learn more as I blog and connect with people.

Schmap.com San Francisco Guide

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP