Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Photographing Babies

So I did my first photoshoot on Saturday.  Subject was my friend Shirlene's baby.  Although I didn't think I did very well (I wasn't overly happy with the photos--they were just OK), I had fun doing the shoot!  


Photographing babies is a lot more challenging than I imagined.  I thought it would be a breeze since I had been taking photos of my nephew every chance I get.  But when I was out there with the only intention of taking photos of this precious little child, I felt so much pressure.  I went there with a game plan that was hardly followed.  I had to be really patient and had to click the shutter at the right time so I can capture the baby's smile and other emotions.  I had to think instantly about how to make him pose, where to let him sit or crawl, where to get the best available light, where's the best angle, whether or not to use props and what's available.  There were just way too many things to consider and I was overwhelmed.  After the photoshoot, I think part of me was all the more convinced that I can't really make a career in photography.

On the other hand, I really did enjoy the whole process.  So the other part of me thinks I should do it more often, and that same part hopes there will be more opportunities to shoot.  Moreover, I learned to use my camera's Burst mode and this has now become one of my favorite functions.


Meet little William Morgan Sue.  Well, he's not exactly somebody I would call "little".  He's only 4 months old but he already weighs about 20 pounds.  He's bigger than most other babies his age, and he's adorable!  We did the shoot for about an hour and he was extremely behaved the entire time.  He didn't cry--not even once.


These are baby William's loving parents, my colleague Shirlene and her hub Morgan.  They are both from Burma but have lived here since they were college students.


Baby changed to his cute little Japanese outfit later in the shoot.  This was just one of the many sweet moments between mom and baby and I was happy to capture them!


You can check out more Baby William photos at My Flickr.  Meanwhile, I think I need to practice more because pretty soon I will be photographing my own!  

15 comments:

JoPiE April 8, 2009 at 10:12 PM  

cuz, you did so well! and to think this is your first photoshoot! my favorite is that sweet moment you captured between mom and baby. that is just so beautiful. more more more!

and oh yeah, hapit na ka magpicture sa imong own little monkey! oh wow, it's like next month already. funny how fast time flies! i wish time flies as fast for me. hehe.

Life+Style by C. Dacua-Ellazar Photography April 8, 2009 at 10:34 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Life+Style by C. Dacua-Ellazar Photography April 9, 2009 at 6:12 AM  

you did good liz for being a first timer... and you're definitely right, even if they're only kids it is still kinda challenging... practice-practice-practice is the key.

also, lisod ka siguro mag yuko-tuko/ligid-ligid since your tummy is in the way [you know what i mean].

Dee April 9, 2009 at 8:08 AM  

awwwww... the 3rd one is my fave.. .truly immortalizes the moments between mom and the baby... :)


Amazing Job Liz!

Liza April 9, 2009 at 12:58 PM  

thanks cuz! i know, hapit na gyud! ikaw sad--right now it probably feels like "dugaya pa uy!", but before you know it, he/she will be here na! :-)

Liza April 9, 2009 at 1:00 PM  

thank you cinds! you're absolutely right. it was really hard because my big tummy was getting in the way. everytime i squat, bend or move around without looking (because my eye was looking at the viewfinder), Charles would give me "The Look"! ;-)

Liza April 9, 2009 at 1:01 PM  

Thanks Dee! The third photo is one of my faves too! I'm just glad I captured that moment :-)

JoPiE April 10, 2009 at 8:50 AM  

cuz, unsa man nang "the look" ni charles? hehehe. bitaw noh, i can imagine how challenging it must've been with your tummy in the way...

konsuy April 10, 2009 at 6:30 PM  

liz, love the mother and child photo.

don't be too hard on yourself. you did very well. when charles jr comes, mas ma practice pa gyud ka and you will get better and better at it.

Aileen April 11, 2009 at 1:30 AM  

these photos are so lovely, liz! good job! love everything! the third is my fave! =)

Lynette April 11, 2009 at 6:33 AM  

not sure about you (perfectionist ay!), but i like these photos!

Liza April 11, 2009 at 1:35 PM  

Thank you Ai! Nalipay kaayo ko 'coz I really like your portraits, so for you to like mine means a lot!

Liza April 11, 2009 at 1:37 PM  

Dili ko perfectionist Nette uy! Hehe... I took so many photos--the ones I posted are the ones I like. There were a lot that didn't work! Hehe...

Anonymous October 26, 2018 at 10:38 AM  

That is me , but now I am 9.

Liza March 14, 2020 at 12:49 AM  

Oh hi, William! :-)

Followers

Contributors

About This Blog

I got interested in photography when I met my husband. He loved photography since the 80's when he owned a Canon AE1 SLR camera. When we got married, we met a great photographer who inspired me even more. I started taking photos when my husband and I got our DSLR camera back in 2005. I never really shared my photos. But lately, I've been introduced to photoblogging and I saw it to be a great way of expression. My photos are amateur but I hope to learn more as I blog and connect with people.

Schmap.com San Francisco Guide

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP