Saturday, April 25, 2009

In Good Company


My father is currently vacationing at our place. However, his stay with us is what I would consider the least "a vacation".

Since he got here, he has done nothing but do work around the house. He wakes up very early in the morning to cook oatmeal for me and Charles--our usual breakfast meal. When I come out to eat, he would already be outside watering the plants or cleaning the pool. When it's cold, he would take this time checking his emails or updating his Friendster and Multiply accounts--yes, my father is computer-savvy and he keeps himself updated with the latest technology and online networking tools.

During the day, my father works in the yard. So far, he's cleaned our surroundings, got rid of all the weeds and other undesirable shrubs and replaced them with different kinds of flowers, vegetables and herbs. He even planted fruit trees! When the afternoon gets hot, he treats himself by taking a dip in the pool and swimming a few laps. And then he starts cooking so by the time Charles and I get home, a nice warm dinner is waiting and ready for us to enjoy.

My father is a good man and I know him as one who takes pride in whatever he does. It was his decision to stay with us and not go with my mom to my sister's place so he could make us a garden. So I'd like to believe that he enjoys what he's doing because it often makes me feel bad seeing him work tirelessly and sweating out under the heat of the sun, when he could have been relaxing, sleeping, watching TV or going around seeing places. It breaks my heart even more when I get to sniff Bengay or Omega Pain Killer when passing by his room at night. He always says he's OK, but I still worry.

I'm definitely going to miss my parents when they return home. I wish they can just stay here for good, but they can't--not yet. But I hope that one day, we will all be together again--enjoying the fruits from the trees that my father grew, spending summers out in the yard which my parents helped beautify, playing with the kids whom they will help nurture, or just being there for each other when all we need is nothing but good company. And what better company is there than our very own family?

***Our herb and vegetable garden--thanks to my father!***

***Just one of the beautiful roses that now adorn our backyard***

10 comments:

Shutterfairy April 26, 2009 at 1:03 AM  

I wish my father was like yours.. Instead, I am reminded of my lolo.
Lovely photos liz..

keth April 26, 2009 at 4:10 AM  

liz, i miss my papa even more after reading this. you're so blessed. your papa looks very young. i really thought the man in the pool is your brother.

Liza April 26, 2009 at 11:34 AM  

Thanks Mai! The important thing is that we have good memories of somebody we look up to--be it our father, grandfather, uncle, or a good friend.

Liza April 26, 2009 at 11:37 AM  

thanks keth! hala, malingaw gyud akong Papa if he learns that you find him looking young, hehe! he does look young compared to other men his age and I think his being active helps a lot!

konsuy April 27, 2009 at 5:59 PM  

the memory of you and your papa i have is the one at your wedding when you both danced. it was so touching and how much your papa loves you really showed. isn't it wonderful to always have him around. cherish the moments.

Lynette April 27, 2009 at 7:55 PM  

I like your dad - very hands on. unsa nga fruits iyang gi plant?

Life+Style by C. Dacua-Ellazar Photography April 28, 2009 at 4:42 PM  

asus liz, hangtud diri trabaho gihapon imo papa =) ... pede huwamon si nong cardo, LOL [joke].

this are nice photos liz.

Liza April 28, 2009 at 7:19 PM  

Hi Chi! I get teary-eyed everytime I remember that moment with my father at the wedding. Indeed, that was one of my most memorable experiences! I love him a lot!

Liza April 28, 2009 at 7:21 PM  

Thanks Nette! My dad planted lemons, plums, oranges, pineapple (just don't know if this will survive), and table grapes. He also planted vegetables and herbs. If all these will survive and bear fruits at the same time, matagbaw gyud mi ug kaon! Haha!

Liza April 28, 2009 at 7:23 PM  

Hi Cinds! Hehe...I'm sure Papa wants to go back to Las Vegas. He loves Vegas! I hope makasuroy mi balik diha soon--maybe before I go back to work from maternity leave. Kita ta!

Followers

Contributors

About This Blog

I got interested in photography when I met my husband. He loved photography since the 80's when he owned a Canon AE1 SLR camera. When we got married, we met a great photographer who inspired me even more. I started taking photos when my husband and I got our DSLR camera back in 2005. I never really shared my photos. But lately, I've been introduced to photoblogging and I saw it to be a great way of expression. My photos are amateur but I hope to learn more as I blog and connect with people.

Schmap.com San Francisco Guide

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP