Friday, April 3, 2009

Photoshoot


I'm getting ready for a photoshoot that I'll be doing tomorrow, and I'm quite excited about it.  


I offered to take photos of a friend's baby--for nothing.  Or I shouldn't say for "nothing" because I know I'll gain from it.  I'll gain experience and practice, and this is what I need to be better.

You see, this friend and colleague of mine just had a baby and she brought her little one to a studio for professional photos.  She paid $130 for only eight poses, one photo per pose and she has to pay more to order prints.  This price would have been reasonable if the photos were really good, but sadly my friend wasn't happy with them. 

I, on the other hand was very excited when she told me she was taking her son to a professional photographer.  I begged her to show me the photos so I would get some inspiration from them.  But I, too was disappointed.  To me, the photos were not what I would expect to come from a pro.  

I felt bad for my friend so I offered to take photos of her baby.  This is not to say that I can do better--I know I'm not that good, hence I won't be charging her for anything.  I'll give her the files and if she likes any of them, she can have them printed.  She almost cried in disbelief and eversince I made that offer, she kept asking me everyday, "Are you sure you want to do this?  Let me just pay you or at least buy you something!"  And each time she asks, I'd simply reply "This is good experience for me and it'll allow me to practice, so don't even worry about it.  I love doing this--I love taking pictures!"

So I hope things will go well tomorrow.  I hope the baby will be in a pleasant mood and I hope, really hope that the photos will turn out descent!

11 comments:

Shutterfairy April 4, 2009 at 1:24 AM  

Enjoy Liz.. you'll be in heaven while clicking away.. heheh.. share them soon.

Life+Style by C. Dacua-Ellazar Photography April 4, 2009 at 7:02 AM  

How small is the baby liz? If pretty newborn, you can do a lot since they don't move too much this time... just bring props [i am sure you can come up with something] --- here's a group in flickr that focus more on baby and children photoshoot with props: http://www.flickr.com/groups/420335@N23/. Also, if it's indoor you can use lampshades [my fave are goose neck lamps situated slightly post lateral of the subject].
I remember when i did emma when she was about 7-8months old [i was running - shutter speed was my bestfriend].
I know you can do it, just let your eyes run wild and do the work =)
By the way [more on nursing/motherly side tip] - if you want baby to wake up undress baby [they get uncomfortable w/ the change of temperature] or when baby's ready to eat [not when they're way too hungry though - you'll get a fussy one].
Goodluck and have fun liz!
Post them up soon, ok :)

Aileen April 4, 2009 at 7:40 AM  

oh, that's so nice of you, liz! have fun! =)

Lynette April 4, 2009 at 8:27 AM  

That's awesome!!! And can't wait to see your photos. =)

Dee April 5, 2009 at 10:58 AM  

OHHHH I'm so excited for the photos!!

Im sure it WAS (past tense kay late ni nga comment hehe) a blast!

Liza April 5, 2009 at 11:06 PM  

Thanks Mai--I really enjoyed the photoshoot! There were a lot of awkward moments but overall it was great! Baby was also behaving :-)

Liza April 5, 2009 at 11:09 PM  

Hi Cinds! Baby is only 3 months old. I didn't want to impose too much on the parents so when they asked me what to prepare, I told them to just prepare themselves--try to dress in neutral colors (white, khaki or black) and if they have a white wall or white sheets in their bed, that will be good. We just did the photoshoot inside their house, which was very well lighted so it was good. I can't say that I did very well, but I surely had fun! :-)

Liza April 5, 2009 at 11:10 PM  

Thank you Ai! Indeed, we all had so much fun! =)

Liza April 5, 2009 at 11:10 PM  

Hi Nette, will post some photos soon. Don't expect too much, hehe!

Liza April 5, 2009 at 11:13 PM  

Thanks Dee! We did have a blast. It was really hard photographing a baby. Kinahanglan maayo gyud mo-timing 'coz they change expressions a lot. Mo-smile lang kadali. So I used the burst mode in my camera, which I have to admit is my new favorite! But I then I ended up with over 200 photos 'coz the burst mode allowed me to take 3 shots for every press of the shutter.

konsuy April 6, 2009 at 3:12 AM  

so happy to know this. wow, photographer na gyud ka kay naa na kay new subjects nga willing.
oh, i can't wait to see your baby captures.

Followers

Contributors

About This Blog

I got interested in photography when I met my husband. He loved photography since the 80's when he owned a Canon AE1 SLR camera. When we got married, we met a great photographer who inspired me even more. I started taking photos when my husband and I got our DSLR camera back in 2005. I never really shared my photos. But lately, I've been introduced to photoblogging and I saw it to be a great way of expression. My photos are amateur but I hope to learn more as I blog and connect with people.

Schmap.com San Francisco Guide

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP