Saturday, May 30, 2009

Welcoming Lucas

***First Family Picture***

It's been nearly two weeks since I delivered my baby and I apologize for taking this long to let this group know. I feel indebted to you, my fellow bloggers, because you have been a great support group during the entire period of my pregnancy. But I'm sure you all (especially the moms among the group) understand that getting through the first week postpartum is no picnic. In between my recovery, the feedings, the diaper change and the catching up of sleep, I find it really hard to spend even thirty minutes of my time on the computer.

So as promised, I am writing to confirm the birth of who was once known as Charles Jr. For those of you who are interested in just facts and nothing else, I have first prepared a Short Version. For those who are interested in a more detailed account, I have prepared an Expanded, less-abridged version so go ahead and read on:

SHORT VERSION:

Name: Lucas Philippe Ocat
Date of Birth: Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 13:53 Pacific Time
Weight: 7 lbs 13 ozs
Length: 20 inches
Fun Fact: He's got some serious hair--easily the one with the most hair among all the babies in the nursery.

***Lucas 20 minutes after birth***

EXPANDED VERSION:

Towards the last weeks of my pregnancy, we have been closely monitoring the baby's size. Dr. Green, my OB was concerned that the baby could get too big, as it's usually the case for babies of diabetic patients. So when I saw Dr. Green for my weekly visit on May 18th, she said "we need to start talking about when you are going to have this baby. How do you feel about an induction?" After she explained all the pros and cons of inducing a first baby, I agreed to it and so we scheduled it for Sunday, the 24th when Dr. Green is working and the hospital is normally less busy. I have always wanted Dr. Green herself to delivery my baby, and not some other on-call doctors who I haven't met in my nine months of pregnancy. No offense to the other doctors--I know they are highly competent, but this is a very significant event in my life that I would prefer to be attended by somebody familiar. And so I thought, Sunday is perfect--Dr. Green won't be seeing patients on appointment so she will have more time to spend at the hospital.

Charles and I checked in at the hospital on Saturday night. Indeed, there was hardly any other patient at the OB Reception. I was checked in immediately and what's so cool is that we got Room 203--the Presidential Suite of the Labor and Delivery ward. It's probably three times bigger than the other L & D rooms, comes with a humungous bathroom with a jacuzzi, a linen warmer that looks like a wine refrigerator, a separate sitting area and a separate area just for the baby.

At almost midnight, Dr. Hom (on call for the night) came in to administer Misoprostal--a tiny pill to help ripen my cervix. Dr. Green had asked her to do so saying I wasn't at all dilated. While Dr. Hom was in the room, she called Dr. Green and told her I was almost 3 cm dilated and the pill could get me going into labor that night. Dr. Green was pretty confident nothing will happen until the following day (this is what I mean by trusting the person who has seen me for nine months). That night, I only experienced minor contractions, which I hardly even felt but I knew they happened by looking at the monitors that were attached to my tummy. Early in the morning Dr. Hom came back to artificially break my water bag and jumpstart my labor. I thought "I know I have lots of fluids and a small baby, so if she breaks my water bag, perhaps the baby could just go along?" I've heard stories of babies born that way. Ah, but no! Still that did not get me going.

Dr. Green came in about two hours later and examined me. I was about 4 cm dilated but the baby wasn't descending. So they gave me a small doze of Pitocin to hasten my contractions and hopefully get the baby to descend. After that, I started feeling the contractions and they were getting closer and more intense by the minute. At about 9 am, despite the whopper contractions, I still wasn't progressing. I started becoming miserable so I know it was time for the epidural (Ladies--the epidural rocks! I highly recommend!). The nurse did remind me earlier that when I ask for the epidural, they'll have to put me on the list and they cannot guarantee how soon it can be administered. It can be as quick as 15 minutes or as long as 45 minutes, depending on how busy the anesthesiologist is. Luckily, Dr. Steven, the anesthesiologist showed up after 15 minutes and shortly after the "good stuff" was delivered, my misery turned into ultimate comfort. I further became more relaxed as I saw my sister come in. I just couldn't have this baby without her!

We were still a bit concerned about my slow progress and the baby not descending as he should, but Dr. Green kept reassuring me that they have a plan. I was hoping and praying that C-section wasn't part of that plan. They then increased the dosage of my Pitocin to nearly double and I think that did the trick! By early afternoon, I was fully dilated and ready to push.

At that time, there was just me, Charles, my sister and my nurse Roxanne who by the way is one of the most awesome nurses I've ever known! Considering all the obstacles of an inverted uterus, a tight birth canal and the average pushing time for a first-time delivery, Dr. Green estimated that it will take me 2-3 hours to push. She had to leave but will be back when I'm really close to delivering the baby (doctors normally don't stay the whole time).

At about 1:15 pm I started pushing. Charles was on my left side holding my head while my sister was on my right coaching me and guiding me through the pushing and the breathing. Nurse Roxanne was busy preparing the baby's receiving area but she was also coaching me from where she was. I decided to give it a college try. I knew it was going to take a while and I wasn't worried about the baby coming out so soon and falling off the edge of the bed. Pushing takes a lot of serious efforts. After a few tries I began to doubt if I can continue doing it for the next 2-3 hours. So I tried even harder and I was determined to get it over with in less than an hour. I guess my efforts paid off. After 15 minutes of pushing, nurse Roxanne had to call Dr. Green back into the room. By the time Dr. Green got back, the baby was already crowning--part of his head can be seen.

Dr. Green took over and this is when it got really cool. I continued to push and made progress. In between the mind-blowing pushes and the heavy breathing, I was able to tell Charles to stop pushing with me. He too, was pushing--as if trying to help me out. I worried that he was going to faint. Dr. Green also noticed and said jokingly "we don't resuscitate husbands here!".  I guess it was just really hard for Charles to be in that same room with me and not get carried away.

Finally, the baby's head was halfway out. Dr. Green asked me to reach down and touch it--it was soft with very thick strands of hair. It felt weird but very amazing! I think that was Dr. Green's way of motivating me to give it my best shot and it worked. The next time I pushed I got the baby's head out--what a relief! Dr. Green then asked me to give it another big push for the shoulders. When the shoulders were out, she reached for my hands and tucked them underneath the baby's arms and asked me to pull the baby out myself. So I made my one last big push and pulled the baby out and up into my chest. Finally, at 1:53 pm, I said "hello" to the little creature that I was nurturing inside of me for the last nine months. I was so overwhelmed with emotions that I found myself in tears. It was the most amazing thing in the world!

We named him Lucas Philippe Ocat. I've always liked the name Lucas and Philippe is from his dad's middle name "Philip". Baby Lucas is awesome! He is a perfectly healthy and vigorous baby. Charles and I are enjoying every single minute with him that I don't care what it took to get him here.

We brought Baby Lucas home two days after his birth. He is still adjusting but I think he likes being home. Charles and I, on the other hand, survived our first night with Baby Lucas and until now we're still good friends! It's been challenging but it's getting better and better every single day--and night. Oh yes--I know we're going to be in for a roller coaster ride in the coming months but I am so looking forward to it!

***Mom and 1-hour old Lucas***

***Lucas cozy at home and in his own bed***

12 comments:

Shutterfairy June 4, 2009 at 7:10 AM  

Thanks Liz for sharing. I learned from Jopai that you gave birth na.

It's heartwarming reading your thoughts.

Aileen June 4, 2009 at 7:30 AM  

Congratulations, Liz! So happy for you! Baby Lucas is so adorable. =)

JoPiE June 4, 2009 at 12:18 PM  

omg, cuz!!! sige ko'g katawa about charles "pushing" with you. if that's not support, i don't know what is! i am sooo happy that your childbirth experience turned out beautiful. and i am sooo happy to see you and charles with lucas. he is such an adorable baby! we will be coming to visit soon!

Life+Style by C. Dacua-Ellazar Photography June 4, 2009 at 4:02 PM  

Welcome baby Lucas!!!

Wow, baby lucas is huge --- how did you push that moose outta there liz =) almost 8lbs.

Anyway, we are very happy and glad you had a wonderful delivery experience. Thank you for a great husband, sister, and staff to make your experience memorable. I know you can do it from the start --- a tough woman like you makes the difference. I am so proud of you Liz, certified mommy naka =)

Congratulations liz and charles --- welcome to parenthood!!!

Liza June 4, 2009 at 4:36 PM  

Thank you Mai! I was looking forward to sharing this experience with all of you. It's great to be back and blogging again!

Liza June 4, 2009 at 4:36 PM  

Thank you Ai! He is finally here and we're loving every moment spent with him.

Liza June 4, 2009 at 4:41 PM  

I know cuz, it's quite funny! It's really easy to get carried away. I remember being with Ate when she gave birth and I got carried away too. Si Charles gyud grabe kay tininuod gyud--like he would also push and release and do deep breaths like I did. LOL!

Liza June 4, 2009 at 4:46 PM  

Thank you Cinds, for all the support and for being there and available when I had questions. :-)

konsuy June 4, 2009 at 6:07 PM  

liza, nagkurog ko gabasa ug gipaningot reading your birth journey. it is worth the wait gyud kay you are such a good story teller.
ka imagine ko ni charles. =)
baby lucas is so adorable. i told greta that she will surely not resist being yaya to LPO. kung silinggan lang ta, ako first mo bantay. =)

Liza June 6, 2009 at 9:48 PM  

Hi Chi! I wish silingan ta! Hehe... I was looking forward to telling my story because I know that at least a few would like to hear it. There have been a lot of horror stories about giving birth and I would like to change that. Childbirth is something that every woman should look forward to--without any fear. Things may not always turn out right or as we want it to, but in the end what really matters is what we end up bringing home.

Thanks for all the advice, the encouragement and the inspiration you have so selflessly given me!

Lynette June 13, 2009 at 9:32 AM  

Omigosh!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I know - this is super belated.

but wow Liz - you got to pull the baby - your baby, out! that is way cool! i have never heard of that! sorry, excited kaayo ko reading your entry.

how are you na? how's lucas?

Liza June 15, 2009 at 10:40 PM  

Hello Nette! I am doing OK. Lucas is fine too! He's getting bigger everyday! It's very sweet of you to ask.

I know--that part was the most exciting part of giving birth! I'm glad I got to experience that! :-)

Followers

Contributors

About This Blog

I got interested in photography when I met my husband. He loved photography since the 80's when he owned a Canon AE1 SLR camera. When we got married, we met a great photographer who inspired me even more. I started taking photos when my husband and I got our DSLR camera back in 2005. I never really shared my photos. But lately, I've been introduced to photoblogging and I saw it to be a great way of expression. My photos are amateur but I hope to learn more as I blog and connect with people.

Schmap.com San Francisco Guide

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP