Monday, July 13, 2009

Confronting Bygones


I am not one who bears a grudge, but I find it difficult (perhaps impossible) to forget when I get offended and the person who did something to offend me.  Like this one person--a former classmate of mine, who back in high school made up stories about me saying horrible things about a good friend.  There was no truth to the allegations, but it unfortunately cost me that friendship.  My friend and I did reconcile before graduation but things got awkward after that and we never stayed in touch since we left high school.  Again, thanks to this one person who, at that time didn't have anything better to do but get into other people's business and ruin relationships.


The first time this one person visited the Bay Area, she wrote me saying she wanted to see me and I said OK.  When I see old friends, I always look forward to reminiscing the past with them.  But since we don't have good memories of each other, I thought "well, we'll just talk about how we've been and what we've been doing all these years--that'll work!".  So we arranged to meet up.  I made dinner reservations at a nice restaurant.  I arrived early, waited....and waited...and waited.  She never showed up!  Days later, she messaged me apologizing.  She said she was with a group of people and they enjoyed Napa Valley too much that they couldn't get back to the city on time.  She couldn't call me because her phone was out of coverage.  I understood.  I know how it is to be a guest, to be with a group of people and to be in a situation where you don't have much control of the time and you just can't make demands.  I'd like to believe she at least made an effort to come see me that night.

Now this one person is in the Bay Area again and she has asked to see me.  Well, despite the high school incident which I now have attached to her name and getting stood up the last time we were going to meet, I still want to see her.  I'd even go out of my way to pick her up and drive her around town.  I still want to take her out to a nice dinner and hopefully she'll treat me back with good company and a nice conversation.  

I let bygones be bygones.  Some things in the past may continue to haunt me, but no more traces of angst are apparent enough to keep me from moving on.  I hope this meeting goes well.  I do look forward to seeing her, to seeing how much she has changed since the last time I saw her fifteen or so years ago.  But first, I hope she shows up this time!
__________________________________________

Photo:  Sunset at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, Vallejo, California

15 comments:

Shutterfairy July 13, 2009 at 9:09 PM  

Let bygones be bygones.. my moms famous words.. she always tells me that.

konsuy July 13, 2009 at 9:27 PM  

crossing fingers she shows up. she will definitely miss out on the chance you are giving her this time around.
pero sa tinuoray lang na gyuy mga tao not worth your time. =)

Aileen July 13, 2009 at 10:28 PM  

i agree with chichi. naay mga tawo not worth your time.

you are so buotan, liz. =)

ps. love the photo!

photosandmemos July 14, 2009 at 12:07 AM  

liza, you are an example of a person who has moved on, and look at life maturely..

your friends are so lucky with you=)

Life+Style by C. Dacua-Ellazar Photography July 14, 2009 at 9:50 AM  

i agree with ai liz... buotan gyud ka kaayo [which is definitely you].

i am just hoping she'll show up.

and yes, i like the photo a lot --- love the silhouette and the colorful sky.

From Our Kitchen To Yours! July 15, 2009 at 10:19 PM  

kakaiba!!! you're too noble... i wouldn't have bothered to talk to her ever again after being stood up like that. -tiris

Liza July 16, 2009 at 1:20 AM  

Mai.Mai said...

Let bygones be bygones.. my moms famous words.. she always tells me that.


Sometimes this is not easy, but I think it's worth remembering the good memories more than the bad ones.

Liza July 16, 2009 at 1:24 AM  

konsuy said...

crossing fingers she shows up. she will definitely miss out on the chance you are giving her this time around.
pero sa tinuoray lang na gyuy mga tao not worth your time. =)

_____________

I agree with you Chi--some people are just not worth our time. But she did show up this time and it was worth the while. I am happy! =)

Liza July 16, 2009 at 1:28 AM  

Aileen Siroy said...

you are so buotan, liz. =)

_____________

I thought of not seeing her anymore Ai, but the hub said I should give her a chance. Mas buotan ang bana, hehe =)

ps. love the photo!
_____________

Thank you!!! =)

Liza July 16, 2009 at 1:31 AM  

Cindy said...
i agree with ai liz... buotan gyud ka kaayo [which is definitely you].

_____________

Hehe, I'm flattered Cinds! Pero maldita baya sad ko usahay!

and yes, i like the photo a lot --- love the silhouette and the colorful sky.
_____________

The sunset itself was really beautiful! Thanks Cinds!

Liza July 16, 2009 at 1:37 AM  

photosandmemos said...
liza, you are an example of a person who has moved on, and look at life maturely..

your friends are so lucky with you=)

_____________

Thank you Chel! I hardly think of myself as mature. Sometimes I also behave like high school, especially when I am annoyed at someone--mawala usahay ang akong values, hehe! But I often remind myself that some things in the past I have to give closure. Otherwise, I'm never going to be completely happy.

Liza July 16, 2009 at 1:41 AM  

From Our Kitchen To Yours! said...
kakaiba!!! you're too noble... i wouldn't have bothered to talk to her ever again after being stood up like that.

_____________

Hi Tiris! After that incident, naglagot gyud baya ko. But since she wasn't somebody that I really cared about, it wasn't that hard for me to get over. If she had been somebody really close to me, then I would have been more offended =)

Lynette July 27, 2009 at 12:30 PM  

OMIGOSH! This is a beautiful shot! Honestly took me a while to read the blog kay unsaon...nipilit akong mata sa picture. Porbida. =( You really should print photos, and sell them as postcards!

Liza July 27, 2009 at 3:19 PM  

Lynette said...

OMIGOSH! This is a beautiful shot! Honestly took me a while to read the blog kay unsaon...nipilit akong mata sa picture. Porbida. =( You really should print photos, and sell them as postcards!

_____________

Hi Nette! Good to hear from you again! Thank you so much--I am so happy you like the photo! Pero nakatawa jud ko sa imong "porbida"! Dugay na ko wala kadungog ana nga word! Hahaha!

Lynette July 28, 2009 at 2:32 PM  

I've been here uy - silently reading. =) i just sort of left my photoblog temporarily to write here:

http://beyondstochastic.blogspot.com

Followers

Contributors

About This Blog

I got interested in photography when I met my husband. He loved photography since the 80's when he owned a Canon AE1 SLR camera. When we got married, we met a great photographer who inspired me even more. I started taking photos when my husband and I got our DSLR camera back in 2005. I never really shared my photos. But lately, I've been introduced to photoblogging and I saw it to be a great way of expression. My photos are amateur but I hope to learn more as I blog and connect with people.

Schmap.com San Francisco Guide

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP