Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Man In The Mirror

I'm starting with the man in the mirror
I'm asking him to change his ways
And no message could have been any clearer
If you wanna make the world a better place
Take a look at yourself and then make a change

--Man in the Mirror, by Michael Jackson

Photo:  A Water Lily found inside the Conservatory of Flowers, San Francisco

To say that I am saddened by the loss of Michael Jackson is an understatement.  Call me a fanatic but last night I was awake and all I could think of was him--what a great loss he is to the music industry and to all the people who love music.  Yes, his music will live on but there won't be any more live performances and no more new songs from the king of pop.

I grew up with his music.  One of the first few albums that I owned was a collection of Michael Jackson hits courtesy of my aunt who worked in Saudi Arabia.  It came in a cassette tape and I remember it being my favorite because the rest didn't appeal to me much--they were albums from Matt Monro, Anne Murray and other older artists.

I remember dancing to Thriller in a school program and using the song Beat It in a school play.  When I was in Grade 6 we sponsored the movie Moonwalker, one of only a handful movies that I saw in a movie house (just because our parents would not let us go to cinemas), and this is when I first heard Man in the Mirror and fell in love with the song.

I grew up witnessing how Michael Jackson influenced the styles of a lot of new and budding artists, including our very own Gary V.  I continued to admire his music--the kind that hardly contains any trash language, the kind that always conveys a significant message.

On a few of our very recent road trips, we played his songs in the car.  Charles and I talked about what a waste it is that he is no longer performing, that he is out there living in the middle east, financially drained after facing his legal battles.  But we were confident that once he makes a come-back, things will turn around and he will be back on his feet.  It's quite a pity that he didn't live long enough to make such come-back.
________________

To Michael, the man in the mirror who wanted to change the world, the artistic genius whose music has, in one way or another, made an impact on our youth and our way of life--THANK YOU!  Rest and be at peace because you have done what you set out to do.  Your legacy will live on and your music will be known and played even by generations to come.  So long...

10 comments:

Shutterfairy July 1, 2009 at 4:59 PM  

i love mj... so does my boys.. sigh.. sayang sa?

konsuy July 1, 2009 at 5:35 PM  

this is one of my favorite songs of his. i remembered naay eat bulaga contest pa sa una emulating him. he did make an impact in this world liz and certainly in his after life.

Liza July 2, 2009 at 1:09 AM  

Perteng sayanga gyud! There's just no one like him--no one can even come close! You should be happy your boys were born during his time.

Liza July 2, 2009 at 1:19 AM  

Now that you mentioned it, yes--kahinumdom ko sa Eat Bulaga contest. I still can't get over the fact that he's gone Chi. Sometimes I'd like to think that this isn't real, that perhaps he's faking his death for some reasons? Haay, I need to wake up na gyud!

Life+Style by C. Dacua-Ellazar Photography July 2, 2009 at 8:58 AM  

love the photo liz... tack sharp, colors are very rich and the reflection is like a squeeky clean mirror --- good job!

may MJ rest in peace.

photosandmemos July 2, 2009 at 11:17 PM  

Hi Liz,the photo is beautiful=) thanks for dropping by my site=) i am greatly honoured..now, i have a reason to lurk here in your blog and admire your photography=)

that reflection of the flower on the water is amazing=) your photography is amazing=)i am even more inspired.=)

and regarding MJ...he is a big loss to the music world. i grew up with his music,there were many a memories that surely had an MJ soundtrack to it,lol. and we know there will never be another MJ...you take care..=)

Liza July 3, 2009 at 12:44 AM  

Thank you Cinds! Nice sad gyud ang flower so anybody could have taken an equally beautiful photo or even better :-)

Liza July 3, 2009 at 12:47 AM  

Hi Chel! Thanks for dropping by here! I'm so happy nga friends na ta, YAY!

Thanks for the compliments on the photo--coming from you this is a very big deal. I am so glad you like it! Ma-inspired man sad ko to keep going and keep practicing! :-)

JoPiE July 3, 2009 at 10:38 AM  

indeed, a great loss. i was in denial for a while that he has really passed away. pareha ta cuz, i was waiting for his comeback. and he was on the very verge of it. sayang gyud kaayo!

Aileen July 5, 2009 at 11:44 PM  

i'm an MJ fanatic since i was a young girl and i'm saddened by his passing. sigh.

beautiful entry liz and an equally beautiful photograph.

Followers

Contributors

About This Blog

I got interested in photography when I met my husband. He loved photography since the 80's when he owned a Canon AE1 SLR camera. When we got married, we met a great photographer who inspired me even more. I started taking photos when my husband and I got our DSLR camera back in 2005. I never really shared my photos. But lately, I've been introduced to photoblogging and I saw it to be a great way of expression. My photos are amateur but I hope to learn more as I blog and connect with people.

Schmap.com San Francisco Guide

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP