Saturday, September 18, 2010

Presence



I normally don't talk about work here.  I try not to.  I don't like mixing work and personal life, and this blog is very personal to me.  But I thought I'd make an exception because I just want to jot down some significant learnings that I recently had.

I never understood what "Presence" really meant until I went to this Leadership Presence workshop that my boss nominated me for.  I've been trying to get into this workshop for 3 years now, but the company only sends 20 people to this course annually.  There is one course held every quarter with 5 people in each of them.  So it's a very small class, very interactive and the coaching is hardcore.  A few of my colleagues who have gone through this course before think it's nerve-wracking and know of at least a couple of people who went through it the first day and never came back to finish it.

It's literally a Presentation workshop.  We were videotaped almost the entire time.  On our first day, we were each asked to make an executive presentation.  After the presentation, we were critiqued and there was no holding back on the criticisms.  The instructor is not a nice guy, but he was AWESOME!  When he introduced himself to us, he said "I don't need to be nice because you are not paying me to be nice.  You are paying me to help you."

I received criticisms for almost everything--from the way I spoke to the way I looked -- the way I stood up, where I placed my hands, the way I gestured, the way I looked at people when I was presenting, my facial expression, my face itself -- my make-up or the lack thereof, and even my hairstyle.  I saw how it can be humiliating to some people.  To me, it was more uncomfortable than humiliating, and that was how it was supposed to be.  Key learning?  If you're getting professional help for professional growth, don't take things personally!

After getting feedback, I was asked to present again..... and again..... and again until I did it right.  And oh, the video review was most horrifying!  I could hardly look at myself on the screen.  My face looked like a mirror ball that reflected all the light in that room.  Key learning?  Never go in front of the camera without make-up.  Style your hair so not even a tiny part of your eyes are covered.  Wear something that makes you feel good about yourself, and it has to be comfortable.

The key to a successful presentation is connecting to the people you are presenting to.  Look into their eyes and talk to them as if it was a two-way conversation.  Once you establish the connection, your tone, enunciation, facial expression and gestures will just naturally flow, and you may not even know it.  But what if you are presenting to a huge crowd--say in a huge hall filled with hundreds of people?  Well, split the room into quadrants.  Randomly select people in every quadrant and connect to them.  Then the rest of the people will just connect to you.

Of course, the other key to a successful presentation is really knowing what you are talking about.

The two day workshop was a torture, but it was an awesome torture.  It was like getting a deep-tissue massage after a long laborious day -- you feel a lot of pain in the process but in the end you are changed, refreshed and renewed!

I would do this workshop again in a heartbeat.  It taught me not only about how to make great presentations, but also all about presence.  I learned that "presence" is not just being there, but it's leaving a trail wherever you go.  Presence is leaving a footprint or making an impact.  Presence is spending 15 minutes with a person you just met and after a year or so that person may not remember your name, but he will remember you.

It also taught me so much about myself.  I was stunned at the realization that there is so much about me that I didn't know.  I thought all this time that I had a really strong accent and that I say a lot of 'aahs' and 'uhmms'.  None of those showed.  I realize that I am sometimes too hard on myself and that I do not give myself enough credit for hard work.  I realized that I am insecure about my being in the minority and I often hesitate to assert myself because I feel "this isn't my territory".  I realized that I have a lot of great ideas but I just don't say them because I fear people won't like them.  But I also realized that if I don't present my idea, somebody else will.

I learned that if I want to be great, I need to trust myself more, have confidence and really believe in what I can do.  And just stop holding back and do it!

8 comments:

Life+Style by C. Dacua-Ellazar Photography September 18, 2010 at 11:47 AM  

what a great learning entry... i've learn a lot just reading this Liz, unsa na kaha ug naa sad ko naminaw =)

nice photo... like the tone and DOF.

JoPiE September 19, 2010 at 1:04 PM  

CUZ, this entry really really interested me. exciting kaayo as i went through each paragraph. even though i'm not in the "working" world, anything that pertains to it still thrills me.

i really admire your attitude -- to learning, constructive criticism, and the motivation to move forward towards greatness.

on the lighter side though, can i see you with your full make-up on? *very curious, indeed!*

:-D

Liza September 19, 2010 at 4:13 PM  

JoPiE said...
i really admire your attitude -- to learning, constructive criticism, and the motivation to move forward towards greatness.

on the lighter side though, can i see you with your full make-up on? *very curious, indeed!*


Thanks Cuz! Sometimes I feel that our growth here is limited, just because we come from a different country. But in reality there's really so much we can do to be great--be it in the workplace, it the community or even in our own private lives. I get encouragement and inspiration from people who believe in me--like you!

As for make-up, mag-learn sa ko ug unsaon, hehehe! Maybe take some lessons on how to put make-up. Banga gyud kaayo ko anang mga butanga uy!

konsuy September 19, 2010 at 5:39 PM  

ka nice sa inyong work kay hatagan gyud mo opportunities to improve.
practice gyud pirme imong presentation skills. you will need it for your photography too.

Liza September 20, 2010 at 3:01 PM  

Cindy said...
what a great learning entry... i've learn a lot just reading this Liz, unsa na kaha ug naa sad ko naminaw =)

nice photo... like the tone and DOF.


Thank you so much, Cinds! I'm glad you learned from this too. Hehe...

Liza September 20, 2010 at 3:04 PM  

konsuy said...
ka nice sa inyong work kay hatagan gyud mo opportunities to improve.
practice gyud pirme imong presentation skills. you will need it for your photography too.


Yes, I am happy Chi that our company is giving us the opportunity to improve and enhance skills. I was telling Charles--I'm really taking this seriously. I want to be better at this and maybe if and when we go back to the Philippines for good and I can't find me a job, I'll book speaking engagements nalang, hehehe! Ambot lang kaha kung halinon ba ko. hehe

konsuy September 21, 2010 at 2:49 AM  

nindot na nga idea nga mag series of talks ka sa philippines. ako lang handle registration kay sigurado ko daghan mo attend ug halinon gyud. sexy gud ang teacher.

Liza September 22, 2010 at 11:28 PM  

konsuy said...
nindot na nga idea nga mag series of talks ka sa philippines. ako lang handle registration kay sigurado ko daghan mo attend ug halinon gyud. sexy gud ang teacher.


Di na intawn ko sexy Chi uy! "Sik-sik" na! But even if I were sexy, maayo unta people will come to listen to what I have to say rather than look at a sexy speaker! Hehehe... Ambot lang kaha kung naa ba'y mo-invite, bisan graduation man lang! LOL

Followers

Contributors

About This Blog

I got interested in photography when I met my husband. He loved photography since the 80's when he owned a Canon AE1 SLR camera. When we got married, we met a great photographer who inspired me even more. I started taking photos when my husband and I got our DSLR camera back in 2005. I never really shared my photos. But lately, I've been introduced to photoblogging and I saw it to be a great way of expression. My photos are amateur but I hope to learn more as I blog and connect with people.

Schmap.com San Francisco Guide

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP