Thursday, September 30, 2010

Impromptu


Today, I came home to an almost empty fridge and an almost empty pantry.  This has never happened before.  We've never ran out of groceries.  On the contrary, we often find ourselves overstocking and throwing away perishables that don't get cooked in time before they turn bad.

Then it occurred to me that it's actually been a while since we last went grocery shopping.  We've been away so much on weekends--in fact, we were home probably only one weekend in the last 2 months that we haven't had the chance to replenish our supplies.  Well, Charles and I have both made short visits to the store to get milk, yogurt, bread and baby food.  But nothing like the usual grocery shopping that we would do every other week.

So I struggled for a moment trying to figure out what to make for dinner.  There weren't any leftovers so I had to come up with something.  I was so tempted to just pick up the phone and call for Chinese take-out, but we had Chinese food just a few days ago.

I started browsing--through the pantry, then the fridge, then back to the pantry.  I thought, "there has to be something here I can make".  I saw a box of spaghetti noodles and a can of tomato sauce, and in the freezer was a pack of cooked swiss meatballs.  Aha!  Traditional spaghetti was what immediately came to mind.

This was done for a little less than 30 minutes.  I didn't have all the right ingredients but it turned out ok.  The sauce was actually pretty good but the meatballs didn't go very well with the dish.  These swiss meatballs are better paired with thick mushroom gravy.

I sprinkled it with parmesan cheese and served it with love.  We had dinner!

4 comments:

konsuy October 3, 2010 at 4:35 PM  

anything coming out from your kitchen will always be good. para nako ang maayo nga cook is the one who can create something from anything they have sa ilang kitchen. this is what i learned from watching too much cooking shows but never learning to cook. hehehe

Liza October 9, 2010 at 12:29 PM  

konsuy said...
anything coming out from your kitchen will always be good. para nako ang maayo nga cook is the one who can create something from anything they have sa ilang kitchen. this is what i learned from watching too much cooking shows but never learning to cook. hehehe


I love cooking shows gyud! Malingaw ko, pero kung complicated na kaayo and recipe, mawad-an na ko ug gana!

Aileen October 13, 2010 at 6:58 AM  

Mouthwatering! This reminds me, I haven't eaten spaghetti for awhile now! I'm always fascinated by people who can cook!

Liza October 13, 2010 at 3:53 PM  

Aileen said...
Mouthwatering! This reminds me, I haven't eaten spaghetti for awhile now! I'm always fascinated by people who can cook!


Thanks Ai! Kaon unya didto ug spaghetti! Hehehe... BTW, I love Filipino-style spaghetti more than the ones I can get here.

Followers

Contributors

About This Blog

I got interested in photography when I met my husband. He loved photography since the 80's when he owned a Canon AE1 SLR camera. When we got married, we met a great photographer who inspired me even more. I started taking photos when my husband and I got our DSLR camera back in 2005. I never really shared my photos. But lately, I've been introduced to photoblogging and I saw it to be a great way of expression. My photos are amateur but I hope to learn more as I blog and connect with people.

Schmap.com San Francisco Guide

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP