Thursday, March 31, 2011

Fallen


As we walk our path of life,
We meet people everyday.
Most are simply met by chance.
But some are sent our way.

These become special friends
Whose bond we can't explain,
The ones who understand us
And share our joy and pain.

Their love contains no boundaries.
So even when we are apart.
Their presence enhances us
With a warmth felt in the heart.

This love becomes a passageway,
When even the miles disappear.
And so these friends,
God sends our way,
Remain forever near.

The poem above from an unknown author was sent by my colleague to the family of another colleague who recently lost his life in a tragic shooting and hostage incident in Tikrit, Iraq.  He was a Reuters photographer and journalist who was reporting on gunmen attacking a local government building in the area.  He was shot and killed along with 52 other people and a hundred other injured (it was all over the news yesterday).

Today, our entire company spent 5 minutes of silence--no calls, no meetings, no talking with anybody, to pay tribute to a fallen colleague and say a prayer for his grieving family.

I didn't know him, of course, but this message from his manager brought me and I'm sure so many others to tears: “When I worked with him, at a time when Iraq seemed to be descending ever deeper into bloody chaos, life to Sabah seemed somehow joyful. I remember him showing up late one night, unannounced, at the Reuters bureau in Baghdad which felt under siege. It was Dec. 31 but we had little cause to celebrate. What brought him down to the city on a frightening night like this, we asked. 'Happy New Year!' he laughed, offering presents all around. It was a generosity in Sabah which we shall all remember amid the sadness.”

His name was Sabah al-Bazee, only 30 years old and he died doing his job--capturing a story so we all would know what's happening in his side of the world.  He was the third Reuters journalist who died tragically in the line of duty in the last 12 months.

It is heartbreaking to see people die through natural disasters like earthquakes and tsunamis, but it's more heartbreaking to see people die in the hands of fellow mankind, in the midst of violence, greed and unresolved conflicts.

8 comments:

Dee March 31, 2011 at 10:44 PM  

Liz, I worked with Reuters for 2 years before as a software engineer. And it is true, sometimes there will just be an announcement asking everyone to pause and offer a moment of silence because a photographer or a camera man or anyone from the crew was shot, kidnapped or something while they are covering an assignment in the war zone.
violence begets violence. It's a sad fact that war is even an option to resolve the world's problems.

Agree Liz, it is indeed heartbreaking to have one man die a violent death in the hands of another.

Liza March 31, 2011 at 11:27 PM  

Dee said...
Liz, I worked with Reuters for 2 years before as a software engineer...

Agree Liz, it is indeed heartbreaking to have one man die a violent death in the hands of another.


Really, Dee? You worked for Reuters diay? Where were you based out of? Luoy cya noh? I feel sad every time I look at his photo. He was so young :-(

Dee April 1, 2011 at 1:26 AM  

oh diba.. paspas kaayo ko mutubag .. lol..

I was based in Singapore. Our department wasn't as "exciting" as theirs... I worked in the R&D dept. while i ogle at the creative designs dept. bisag tig-timpla kape lang unta lol...

but seriously, it is sad really everytime that company wide announcement will be made. Everything else will just pause... meetings, conversations, etc.

Aileen April 1, 2011 at 5:36 AM  

What a heartbreaking story. I admire people like that -- people whose generous spirits are never broken despite chaos and pain. He is a hero.

Liza April 1, 2011 at 7:43 AM  

Dee said...
...but seriously, it is sad really everytime that company wide announcement will be made. Everything else will just pause... meetings, conversations, etc.


Dee, I hope we won't ever have to see these emails again.

Liza April 1, 2011 at 7:45 AM  

Aileen said...
What a heartbreaking story. I admire people like that -- people whose generous spirits are never broken despite chaos and pain. He is a hero.


Ai, in reading so many testimonials of those who worked with him, I can tell what a great, happy, generous man he is. This is really sad. He is indeed a hero.

konsuy April 3, 2011 at 7:47 PM  

i get so carried away with news like this. maski i don't know the person i always think of the agony their family must be going through. but we are on earth on borrowed time. our ultimate home is up there so ampo nalang ta nga mo taas pa atong kinabuhi and contribute to do good here on earth.

news like this are just so sad. ngano gyud kaha ng mga innocent man unahon? luoy kaayo.

Liza April 8, 2011 at 10:45 PM  

konsuy said...
i get so carried away with news like this. maski i don't know the person i always think of the agony their family must be going through. but we are on earth on borrowed time. our ultimate home is up there so ampo nalang ta nga mo taas pa atong kinabuhi and contribute to do good here on earth.


Mao gyud, Chi! Our time on earth is borrowed, but we can only hope that we are given the chance to stay here longer. It's still very sad when people's lives are taken so tragically. :-(

Followers

Contributors

About This Blog

I got interested in photography when I met my husband. He loved photography since the 80's when he owned a Canon AE1 SLR camera. When we got married, we met a great photographer who inspired me even more. I started taking photos when my husband and I got our DSLR camera back in 2005. I never really shared my photos. But lately, I've been introduced to photoblogging and I saw it to be a great way of expression. My photos are amateur but I hope to learn more as I blog and connect with people.

Schmap.com San Francisco Guide

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP