Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Did You Know?


Lucas has been coughing. I started to notice it several days ago when he would cough once or twice while asleep. One night, he coughed so hard continuously for probably a good five minutes until it waked him and made him cry.

The next day, I brought him to his doctor who said he is fine, to my relief.  His lungs were clear, his ears didn't show any signs of infection and "he is a perfectly healthy little boy", said his doctor.

He may have just caught a bug, which will go away in a few days, unless it develops into a cold. Until now, he doesn't have colds so I'm hoping he is OK. Fingers crossed. 

But what really amazed me was the doctor's prescription--turn on the vaporizer all night and if he coughs hard and sounds congested, rub Vicks Vaporub on...............guess where?  The bottom of his feet! And then cover his feet with blanket or socks.

Really??? Am I the only one who doesn't know this?  Clearly, my mom doesn't. My siblings and I grew up relying on Vicks for cough and colds but we've always applied it on the chest, neck and back.  Sometimes even on the forehead and nose, which as we all know, is not recommended. 

Although I've used Vicks Baby Rub on Lucas in the past, I've always been reluctant about using any Vicks on him, especially on the chest.  But applying it on the feet sounds pretty safe to me.

Oh, I did google it when I got home and true enough, so many moms swear by this technique!

So that night, we put the vaporizer on as the doctor suggested.  About three hours later, he started coughing so I applied Vicks on to his feet.  Well, there was not a peep from him until he woke up the next morning.

***

Photo: Gabriella and Isabella. Twins. Potential clients. This is not the official photos. We met up and discussed their upcoming shoot, and I took a few test snaps.  The girls are adorable!  I am excited to do their portraits.

4 comments:

Mommy Blogs August 31, 2011 at 9:10 AM  

Thanks for the tip! Karon ra ko kadungog ani dah. The boys recently had croup, humidifier works wonders, steam bath (lock yourselves up in a hot steaming shower! murag sauna gyud!), and chilling at the fridge!

Cindy August 31, 2011 at 10:22 AM  

Whoah, that's interesting liz... never heard that mylself... but thanks for sharing the info =)

konsuy August 31, 2011 at 4:26 PM  

amping doy lucas. don't let the bug get you. vics will be your friend.

JoPiE September 6, 2011 at 3:47 PM  

really? wow! thanks for sharing that with us, CUZ. Benjamin has the colds now, and is coughing from time to time. if it does become a full-blown cough, then i'll know what to do! :D

Followers

Contributors

About This Blog

I got interested in photography when I met my husband. He loved photography since the 80's when he owned a Canon AE1 SLR camera. When we got married, we met a great photographer who inspired me even more. I started taking photos when my husband and I got our DSLR camera back in 2005. I never really shared my photos. But lately, I've been introduced to photoblogging and I saw it to be a great way of expression. My photos are amateur but I hope to learn more as I blog and connect with people.

Schmap.com San Francisco Guide

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP