Friday, August 26, 2011

Fruit of the Vine


It's harvest time!

Today, Charles decided to harvest some of the grapes that were hanging from our backyard canopy.  Some of the fruits were still very small but they were starting to fall off, so he decided it was time, at least for some of them.


This is only about a third of the entire produce that need to be harvested.  When I got home from work and took a peek at the outside, it's as if nothing was taken off of the vine.

I think our grapevine is not as healthy as it should be.  The fruits are inconsistent in size.  The big ones seem very ripe and they're sweet, and the small ones are sour.  I don't know if we should have waited.  But if we did, maybe they would have fallen off on their own and we'd have very little left to enjoy.  I wish we were more experienced with taking care of plants and fruit trees.  Gardening is just not our thing. This is one area that the husband and I would likely flunk.


Lucas was so thrilled about the grapes.  He used to go outside and ask to pick some fruit, but we would tell him it's not ready yet.  Now, he can enjoy as much as he wants, until mom and dad says "that's enough".  He ate too much of it today that we had to stop him from even going to the kitchen.

I wish my dad was here.  We owe him this.  He had the vision of grapes growing in the backyard and fruits hanging from the canopy, providing a natural shade while he sits in the backyard and lounges the day away.  He planted this, along with other fruit trees when he and my mom came to visit a couple of years ago.  Now, we are reaping the fruits of his labor and there is nothing I want now than for him to enjoy it too.

6 comments:

kookooforcocopuffs August 26, 2011 at 1:08 AM  

Adrian will be envious of your fruits...he wants to get grapes to make wine with it, but it doesnt grow (the variety for wine) doesnt grow in our backgyard,haha..

Lucky lil boy,LUcas, he will grow up having his own grapes... what a luxury;-) PS> imong dad Liz, is a very good gardener noh? he grew that? wow! he is wonderful;-) im sure everytme mo mu kaon sa grapes,u will remember him;-)

Cindy August 26, 2011 at 8:55 AM  

wow, grapes in the backyard? ... nice kaayo liz!

mangayo ko long =)

JoPiE August 28, 2011 at 2:37 PM  

bilib gyud ko ni Tito Cardo! your backyard canopy, indeed, is perfect for grapes! how are they cuz? tam-is? they look so delicious! :D

Liza August 29, 2011 at 4:09 PM  

kookooforcocopuffs said...
Adrian will be envious of your fruits...he wants to get grapes to make wine with it, but it doesnt grow (the variety for wine) doesnt grow in our backgyard,haha..

Lucky lil boy,LUcas, he will grow up having his own grapes... what a luxury;-) PS> imong dad Liz, is a very good gardener noh? he grew that? wow! he is wonderful;-) im sure everytme mo mu kaon sa grapes,u will remember him;-)


Thank Chel! Oh, seeing Adrian's strawberries makes me think he's really good with fruits and gardening too. And knowing that he makes good bread makes me certain that he can make good wine too! Nice unta to noh? You make your own bread and wine? My father is a very good and patient gardener. I do miss him everytime I see the backyard/

Liza August 29, 2011 at 4:10 PM  

Cindy said...
wow, grapes in the backyard? ... nice kaayo liz!

mangayo ko long =)


Anhi diri, Tita Cindy para katilaw ka sa among grapes! But trust me, the ones you can get from the groceries are just as good! Hehehe...

Liza August 29, 2011 at 4:14 PM  

JoPiE said...
bilib gyud ko ni Tito Cardo! your backyard canopy, indeed, is perfect for grapes! how are they cuz? tam-is? they look so delicious! :D


Cuz, kugihan gyud kaayo ni si Papa mananom. Back home in Bohol, daghan kaayo mi fruit trees sa backyard. I think he came from a family of fruit-lovers. Daghan sad kaayo sila prutas sa Cuasi. We are lucky kay naka-ambit mi. Just the other day, Charles sad namunga sad kuno ang orange ni Papa. Yay! Tam-is ang grapes, Cuz. Although naa'y daghan gagmay nga medyo aslum pa.

Followers

Contributors

About This Blog

I got interested in photography when I met my husband. He loved photography since the 80's when he owned a Canon AE1 SLR camera. When we got married, we met a great photographer who inspired me even more. I started taking photos when my husband and I got our DSLR camera back in 2005. I never really shared my photos. But lately, I've been introduced to photoblogging and I saw it to be a great way of expression. My photos are amateur but I hope to learn more as I blog and connect with people.

Schmap.com San Francisco Guide

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP