Monday, August 22, 2011

Unforgivable


Last week, I did something unimaginable.  I forgot my mom's birthday.

I was traveling most of the week, and when I do I get too focused on work.  I remember getting a text from my sister early in the morning and it said "it's mama's birthday. don't forget to call!" My sister is not one to remind me about these things, but this time she did.  She knew I was away, very occupied and likely to forget.  But I was still sleepy having slept very late the night before. So ignored it, went back to sleep and by the time I woke up, I was running late for an appointment. Hotel alarm didn't go off!

After work that day, I went out to a dinner meeting and came back late. By the time I remembered what day it was, it was already very late on the 18th.

My mom was clearly upset, and rightfully so. She didn't want to talk to me.  I made it worse by attempting a lame excuse. "It's only the 18th here" I said.  "Well, it's almost the end of the 19th here" she responded.

At first, I thought, she was being childish and unreasonable.  If she forgets my birthday, I wouldn't care.  But then it occurred to me--what if one day Lucas forgets my birthday?  Or what if Charles does? And my thoughts traveled back to the days when I was little.  When it was my birthday and my parents didn't show any signs of preparations for a party or a celebration.  I remember how bad I felt.  I would lock myself in the room weeping and saying to myself, "I wish I would not live another year so they will regret not celebrating my last birthday!"  Yeah, it was that bad.

I think I know now how my mom felt.  This matters to her, maybe more than it matters to me. And I realize how lucky I am that my parents are still with us, and this should matter. Forgetting my mom's special day should be unforgivable, but I hope she will find it in her heart to forgive me anyway.  And I know she will.

8 comments:

Aileen August 22, 2011 at 11:27 PM  

Oh no! Hugs, Liz! I know how terrible it feels when we know we've hurt the feelings of those we love. But I'm sure she'll forgive you. Mothers always forgive her child. :)

PS. That's an amazing photo!

Cindy August 22, 2011 at 11:36 PM  

Oh no Liz!!! Bawi ka na lang (deliver flower and cake, i can give you a website i use sa tagbilaran)... though i know Nang Ludy will for sure forgive you.

Though that photo is truly sinful... yumminess!!!

Liza August 23, 2011 at 11:19 AM  

Aileen said...
Oh no! Hugs, Liz! I know how terrible it feels when we know we've hurt the feelings of those we love. But I'm sure she'll forgive you. Mothers always forgive her child. :)

PS. That's an amazing photo!


Thank you, Ai! This was the last of my recent sweet indulgence, hehe. My mom joked nga maayo pa daw si Dan Lim (mayor of Tagbilaran) kay nagpadala pa ug cake, ako wala gani mutawag. Hehe. I think she has forgiven me now and I am so relieved. I will never ever take her for granted again!

Liza August 23, 2011 at 11:20 AM  

Cindy said...
Oh no Liz!!! Bawi ka na lang (deliver flower and cake, i can give you a website i use sa tagbilaran)... though i know Nang Ludy will for sure forgive you.


Hala Cinds, which website man? Sige, send me the link please! Thank you ha!

konsuy August 23, 2011 at 2:23 PM  

mothers have a big heart. she will forgive you. call her everyday for 1 week and let lucas sing for her. =) palaban lagi sa apo. hehehe

Liza August 23, 2011 at 5:15 PM  

konsuy said...
mothers have a big heart. she will forgive you. call her everyday for 1 week and let lucas sing for her. =) palaban lagi sa apo. hehehe


HAHAHA! Chi, the only problem is, dili cya kabalo mukanta. Musayaw hinuon. But you know what, that's what I did. When I called her again she was still upset. But she could hear Lucas talking and screaming in the background. Nahumok gyud intawn iyang kasingkasing! ;-)

JoPiE August 23, 2011 at 11:09 PM  

oh my! i know how terrible you must have felt! pero nalingaw ko sa "it's only the 18th here." hehehe. i'm glad though that Tita forgave you so quickly. i don't think maka-antus siya nimo for long. :D

Liza August 25, 2011 at 10:46 PM  

JoPiE said...
oh my! i know how terrible you must have felt! pero nalingaw ko sa "it's only the 18th here." hehehe. i'm glad though that Tita forgave you so quickly. i don't think maka-antus siya nimo for long. :D


Buanga lagi, Cuz! Tigulang na gyud ko. Daghan na kaayo ko ug makalimtan. Ngita pa gyud ug excuse! Hehehe....

Mangita na gyud ko ug exercise para sa brain! ;-)

Followers

Contributors

About This Blog

I got interested in photography when I met my husband. He loved photography since the 80's when he owned a Canon AE1 SLR camera. When we got married, we met a great photographer who inspired me even more. I started taking photos when my husband and I got our DSLR camera back in 2005. I never really shared my photos. But lately, I've been introduced to photoblogging and I saw it to be a great way of expression. My photos are amateur but I hope to learn more as I blog and connect with people.

Schmap.com San Francisco Guide

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP