Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A Different Kind of Sweet


I failed my first glucose test. I might have Gestational Diabetes, which I heard is pretty common to pregnant Asian women. Somehow I expected this. My father is diabetic and so it's already in our blood. My sister had Gestational Diabetes when she was pregnant and she was on Insulin until she gave birth. Yet I know that having the disease is not completely inevitable. I could have done something to prevent it. I could have watched my diet closely the moment I knew I was expecting. Needless to say, I did not.

Tomorrow I go through a more intensive test called a "3-hour Glucose Test". I have to fast for 10-12 hours and be at the lab as early as 7am. They will have me drink a very concentrated glucose solution and they will draw my blood 3-4 times within 3 hours. This test will determine my body's tolerance to sugar. If I don't have the disease, my glucose level will rise after drinking the solution then fall quickly. If I have it, my glucose level will rise above normal and fail to come back down as fast.

I am a bit worried. I mean, I'm really worried. But if I have it, then I have no choice but to deal with it. If I don't, I put myself and my baby at a significant risk. I could pass on the disease to him or I could keep it even after the pregnancy. This time, I think it's too late to undo what I have already done so I can only hope for the best. And pray, pray, pray...


13 comments:

Anonymous February 25, 2009 at 10:19 PM  

oh my, cuz. i hope your test turns out negative for gestational diabetes. it's true though, diabetes runs in our family. worse for me, both parents have it.

*crossing my fingers and whispering a prayer for you, cuz*

Liza February 25, 2009 at 10:34 PM  

Thank you cuz! Now you really have to watch your diet too--this disease runs in the family!

Thanks for your prayers! **Hugs**

Aileen February 26, 2009 at 12:38 AM  

hope you and your baby will be fine, liz. i'll keep you in my prayers. *hugs*

ps. another makagutom picture from you! =D

keth February 26, 2009 at 1:49 AM  

oh, liz, i truly understand...but don't be too hard on yourself. you and the baby will be fine...while you can't undo what's been done...there's still something you can do...and that's to stay positive.

but then again, when you have those sort of desserts, who can resist them? that looks so yummm...and as always, you captured it well.

but, i will pray for your safe pregnancy and delivery and for a healthy bouncing baby!

konsuy February 26, 2009 at 2:21 AM  

oh liza. hope all goes well on your tests. will keep you and charles jr in our prayers. kaya lagi na ninyo. you have the whole family supporting you.

Shutterfairy February 26, 2009 at 2:48 PM  

Liz, I hope your worries will go away. Sad to hear this.. hugs..

Liza February 26, 2009 at 5:54 PM  

Hi Ai! Thank you so much! It's really comforting to know that some good people are praying for me. I am deeply moved!

Hehe, the photo is an old one--one of the first food photos that I took. I didn't think I did a good job on that one, pero kung gigutom ka then it must be OK, hehe! Thank you!

Liza February 26, 2009 at 5:56 PM  

Thank you Keth! I am moved when people like you, whom I haven't even met in person say a little prayer for me. You are very kind!

Liza February 26, 2009 at 5:58 PM  

Hi Chi! I feel better knowing I have the support of family and friends like you. Sweet kaayo tanan nakong mga new friends diri sa blog world. You were very right from the start--everyone I meet here are so supportive!

Liza February 26, 2009 at 5:59 PM  

Thank you Mai! I'll probably have my results tomorrow--I hope I'll have some good news to tell :-)

Lynette February 26, 2009 at 5:59 PM  

*sending a little prayer along your way*

Don't worry too much - I know this is easier said than done. You and your little one will be fine. You'll see. *wink*

Liza February 26, 2009 at 6:01 PM  

Hi Nette! Keeping my fingers crossed here. Thank you for your comforting words!

Life+Style by C. Dacua-Ellazar Photography February 27, 2009 at 10:38 AM  

How high was it liz?

Just take it easy, i know your OB will take good care of you. Just do what you think is best.

Everything will be alright, ok --- *hugs*.

[tingali ningka-on sad ka og rice/sweet before you went for your test? --- the initial one i mean.]

Followers

Contributors

About This Blog

I got interested in photography when I met my husband. He loved photography since the 80's when he owned a Canon AE1 SLR camera. When we got married, we met a great photographer who inspired me even more. I started taking photos when my husband and I got our DSLR camera back in 2005. I never really shared my photos. But lately, I've been introduced to photoblogging and I saw it to be a great way of expression. My photos are amateur but I hope to learn more as I blog and connect with people.

Schmap.com San Francisco Guide

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP