Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Godparenting


My sister has asked me to be her son's godmother and I'm ecstatic! Actually, I was kind of expecting it but it felt even more exciting when she finally asked me.

I didn't realize we had to attend a "discernment process" or what they often call a Baptismal Preparation seminar to become godparents. I've been a godparent before--to four other kids to be exact, but I've never been required to attend a seminar with any one of them.

In the past I was told that when asked to become one, you can't say no. If you're a parent and someone wants to be a godparent to your kid, you can't say no either. But why not? What does it really mean to become a godparent? To me, accepting an invitation to be a godparent means accepting a massive responsibility--responsibility to support and help the parents as they raise the child, responsibility to guide the child as he/she journeys through life--through Christian life, and responsibility to be there for the child when he/she is in need. Having said these, I find it perfectly OK to decline an invitation to become a godparent if I'm not ready to fulfill these responsibilities towards the child.

Of course, with my nephew I am ready and I am deeply honored to have been given the task.

The seminar that we attended today confirmed my beliefs about godparenting--or at least most of it. I am happy we went through it because it made me think about what I have done for my godchildren and whether or not I have carried out my responsibilities towards them. But as a future parent, it also made me contemplate about how to choose my child's godparents--who do I give the responsibility to and will they take it on? I grew up not knowing any one of my godparents, so I guess my parents didn't choose very well. I wish they did, now that I know what it really means.

11 comments:

Aileen February 5, 2009 at 1:11 AM  

It is indeed a serious responsibility to be a godparent. =)

And think you will be a loving and doting Aunt and godparent, Liz. =)

Shutterfairy February 5, 2009 at 7:19 AM  

Liz, I feel honored every time someone would ask me to be their child's Ninang.

You will be a great ninang..

Life+Style by C. Dacua-Ellazar Photography February 5, 2009 at 7:58 AM  

sus, lain gyud dire liz... daghang mga seminar na imo i-attend.

wait when charles jr will come-out pohon, as parents mag-seminar pud mo.

congratulations ninang!

btw, love how you soften the picture. cute naman ng invites, diba ikaw ning-kuha ani liz?

Anonymous February 5, 2009 at 10:28 AM  

congratulations, ninang!

indeed, it is a great responsibility to be a ninang... that's why i am so sorry for all my ina-anaks back home. it makes me sad that i don't get to see them, and will never have a really close relationship with them because i'm so far away. if i knew i'd be eventually come here, i'd have declined.

cuz, you'll be the perfect aunt and ninang, there's no doubt about that!

Liza February 5, 2009 at 10:57 AM  

Thanks Ai! I love this kid a lot so I'm going to try to be a good ninang to him ;-)

Liza February 5, 2009 at 11:00 AM  

Amen, Mai! I think it's a great honor. Being asked means the parents trust you and they want you to be a special part of their family. Now I am more excited!

Liza February 5, 2009 at 11:01 AM  

Hi Dee! Yea--I took that picture and Ate used it for the invites because the clothes he's wearing there matched the invite theme color. It worked out very well!

Liza February 5, 2009 at 11:03 AM  

Thanks cuz! Me too--I feel bad for my inaanaks back home, especially one of them who I no longer get in contact with--I don't know where they are now. Basin pangitaon to nako the next time I go home.

keth February 6, 2009 at 4:13 PM  

liz, your little nephew is so cute. boy, they grow up so fast. anyway, i'm sure you'll make a good ninang. for a start, you know exactly what it entails.

konsuy February 7, 2009 at 3:18 AM  

you are auntie ninang. lot made the right decision. swerte kaayo si nathan.

Unknown February 13, 2009 at 5:00 AM  

aww, he's so big now! Adorable!

Followers

Contributors

About This Blog

I got interested in photography when I met my husband. He loved photography since the 80's when he owned a Canon AE1 SLR camera. When we got married, we met a great photographer who inspired me even more. I started taking photos when my husband and I got our DSLR camera back in 2005. I never really shared my photos. But lately, I've been introduced to photoblogging and I saw it to be a great way of expression. My photos are amateur but I hope to learn more as I blog and connect with people.

Schmap.com San Francisco Guide

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP