Sunday, February 15, 2009

Weekend Thoughts


I am having such a blessed weekend...

It's been rainy since three days ago, and I think it's just the perfect time to rain! It's the weekend and we didn't make any outdoor plans. I don't have to drive in a watery, murky freeway to work, which I find really dangerous.  Few weeks ago, I heard from a local news that our county reservoir is running low on water and if it doesn't rain, our county might have to instigate water rationing. So thank God for rain!


***

My parents are back from Missouri. Although it was rainy when they arrived, they are ecstatic to be back in the moderately cold climate of California.  As for me, it's always great to have my parents around.

***

Valentines Day was made extra special with the presence of my family. We treated them to a nice dinner at our new favorite Filipino restaurant Patio Filipino. This place is awesome! Food is delicious, service is great, place is clean and very well kept (I'd probably consider this one of the more upscale Filipino restaurants in the Bay Area), and most of all the price is reasonable! This place is frequented by Filipinos and foreigners alike.

Last night, we ordered one of their specialties Paella Valenciana! It was delish and very well presented. Too bad I didn't have my camera with me.

***

This weekend has been all about good food--and I mean good Filipino food! For some reasons I've been craving for food from home. So I started out by making Pancit Palabok on Thursday, followed by our Pinoy dinner at Patio Filipino. On our way home, we dropped by my favorite Asian bakery and picked up my favorite cake. While grocery-shopping at Costco, I came across a pack of Cornish Hen, which I heard is the closest to "Manok Bisaya" (native chicken) in terms of taste. I grabbed some and made chicken adobo today. Indeed, it tastes like native chicken--still not as good, but pretty close!

***

Our friend Jim stopped by for tea. It's been a while since he paid us a visit. It was great catching up with him. This man has a lot of insights on pretty much everything--from electronics to relationships to politics to business and the economy.  He is someone we can learn a lot from.  I learned that he is planning to marry his girlfriend this year.  Good heavens!  It's really about time, so we're keeping our fingers crossed.

***

My sis wanted to buy her colleague a retirement gift so we decided to go shopping. Guess what--it's the perfect time to shop!  Lots of great deals everywhere! I guess it's because we're almost at the change of a season. I left the mall with a few new tops and dresses averaging less than $20 a piece. Sis also indulged in new designer handbags. The price she paid would normally just get her one handbag, but this time for the same price she got three.

***

This has been a long, relaxing weekend thus far.  I took last Friday off and tomorrow, Monday is Presidents' Day--a federal holiday!  Normally, we would make plans when we're off this long, but this time we decided to just stay home and not map out anything at all.  I am really liking it!  I think I'll be back to work on Tuesday fully recharged!

My version of Palabok Fiesta

A slice of goodness!

14 comments:

Aileen February 15, 2009 at 9:47 PM  

what an abundance of blessings, indeed! friends, family, food -- sounds perfect to me!

your food pictures make me hungry! =)

Liza February 15, 2009 at 10:00 PM  

Thank you Ai! Sometimes I miss Filipino food so much I'd wish I was home.

Anonymous February 16, 2009 at 6:28 AM  

haaay, ka-lami aning imong mga gipanghisgot, cuz! i agree, lami didto sa patio filipino.

what a blessed weekend indeed! you still have today to relax and unwind. enjoy! :-)

Shutterfairy February 16, 2009 at 6:50 AM  

woww Liz.. making me hungry.. reading your post made me smile.. weekend with family, friends, food.. nothing can beat that.

Anonymous February 16, 2009 at 8:36 AM  

Wow ate Liz, the Palabok looks perfect...I wouldnt wanna eat it. hehehe!!! I know it looks really yum but I wouldn't want to make a mess out of it. It looks one of those food at a posh hotel u wanna take pics of. :)

Liza February 16, 2009 at 11:22 AM  

thanks cuz! hope you're having a great weekend too!

Liza February 16, 2009 at 11:25 AM  

yes mai! indeed, it's a great weekend! there's one more thing I crave for--a really good lechon!

Liza February 16, 2009 at 11:25 AM  

Hi Maris! Yay! That's very kind of you. Thanks so much!

Lynette February 16, 2009 at 1:55 PM  

shocks....gigutom ko!

next: share nya recipes ha? =)

keth February 19, 2009 at 12:56 AM  

oh my! liz, you are superwoman indeed! my mouth is watering just looking at that palabok...yummmmm!!!

Liza February 19, 2009 at 10:48 PM  

Hi Lynette! Sure thing--will post recipe here soon.

Liza February 19, 2009 at 10:48 PM  

Thank you Keth!

konsuy February 20, 2009 at 9:20 PM  

finally si jim dili na i-joke sa iyang boy toy. i hope i got it right, he is marrying his canadian girlfriend or someone else?
tsismosa me.

i miss you liz. i was just used to reading you everyday. hehehe

pero nabawi sa pagka-on. murag lami kaayo imong palabok. you should go into a restaurant business. you can do better than patio filipino. daghan na kaayo ka lami nga putahi biya.

Liza February 20, 2009 at 10:25 PM  

Hi Chi! Wa na ko ka-blog 'coz this week has been really busy. But I try to spend a few minutes everyday reading the blogs I follow.

Naa gihapon boy toy si J--this time gwapo gyud, hehe. Bitaw, he's planning to marry the GF from Canada, but I still don't know kung madayon na gyud. It's the same story every year :-)

Followers

Contributors

About This Blog

I got interested in photography when I met my husband. He loved photography since the 80's when he owned a Canon AE1 SLR camera. When we got married, we met a great photographer who inspired me even more. I started taking photos when my husband and I got our DSLR camera back in 2005. I never really shared my photos. But lately, I've been introduced to photoblogging and I saw it to be a great way of expression. My photos are amateur but I hope to learn more as I blog and connect with people.

Schmap.com San Francisco Guide

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP