Saturday, February 21, 2009

For Lynette...

This Palabok is actually not made from scratch. I used Palabok mix but improvised and added other ingredients to give the dish a more "home-made" taste and feel. So here you go...
PALABOK


You will need:

1 8-oz. pack Rice Stick Noodle (Bihon)
1 Pack Mama Sita Palabok Mix (or any other brand will do)
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp. oil
1 tbsp. fish sauce (patis)
1 can smoked oysters (you can also use smoked fish or "tinapa" if you can find one), minced
1/2 lb. medium-size shrimps
1/2 lb. ground pork (optional)
1 handful of shredded squid (optional)
3 hard-boiled eggs for toppings
crispy pork rinds (chicharon), ground
chives

For the noodles:
Bring about 3 quarts of water to a boil. Add a dash of salt and 1 tbsp. of oil. Put the rice stick noodles in the boiling water (just like cooking pasta). Keep stirring until noodles soften. Rice stick noodles cook so fast--do not overcook.

When done, take noodles out of the boiling water and wash with cold water so the heat stops cooking the noodles. Keep cool in a strainer.

For the sauce:
Dissolve Palabok mix in 2 cups of cold water. Stir until free from lumps. Heat 2 tbsp. of oil. Saute minced garlic, shrimps, shredded squid, ground pork and half of minced smoked oysters (keep the other half for garnishing). Drizzle with fish sauce. Pour the Palabok mix dissolved in water. Simmer and stir until sauce thickens.

Serve:
Place the noodles in a platter. Pour sauce over the noodles. Garnish with ground pork rinds (chicharon), the remaining half of the minced smoked oysters, sliced hard-boiled eggs and chives. Serve and enjoy!

9 comments:

Lynette February 21, 2009 at 11:42 PM  

Yipee!!! Thank you Liz! Gotta try this. hmmn... it's almost 3 am here, and gigutom na nuon ko. wah!!!

Anonymous February 22, 2009 at 6:38 AM  

yummy!!!

Liza February 22, 2009 at 10:06 PM  

Hi Nette, hope you'll like it!

Anonymous February 23, 2009 at 6:05 AM  

this is a first for me...u have palabok mix there? =)

Shutterfairy February 23, 2009 at 9:18 AM  

Making me hungry...

Liza February 23, 2009 at 11:03 PM  

Hi Maris! Yeah--Palabok mix is sold at some Asian stores here. We just have to drive 30 minutes to go to one of those stores :-)

Liza February 23, 2009 at 11:04 PM  

Palit nalang Mai! The Palabok we have back there tastes so much better :-)

keth February 24, 2009 at 6:11 AM  

wow, liz! thanks for sharing the recipe even though it's intended for someone else, i will take the liberty to grab it.thank you.

Liza February 24, 2009 at 1:58 PM  

Hey Keth! It's for everyone interested. I just put "For Lynette" in the title to make sure it catches her attention since she requested for it. Feel free to grab and try it out! :-)

Followers

Contributors

About This Blog

I got interested in photography when I met my husband. He loved photography since the 80's when he owned a Canon AE1 SLR camera. When we got married, we met a great photographer who inspired me even more. I started taking photos when my husband and I got our DSLR camera back in 2005. I never really shared my photos. But lately, I've been introduced to photoblogging and I saw it to be a great way of expression. My photos are amateur but I hope to learn more as I blog and connect with people.

Schmap.com San Francisco Guide

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP