Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Anticipation

At 31 weeks of gestation

Charles and I just graduated from a series of Childbirth and Childcare Preparation classes. At first I wasn't so thrilled about going, but my OB required it. We didn't go the classes offered by the hospital because my OB recommended a different set of classes--something supposedly better, something I wish every expectant mother will have the opportunity to attend.

Sarah McMoyler is one of the best (if not the best) in the field of Prenatal Education. We attended her classes called the McMoyler Method. She is the founder of this company and also the author of The Best Birth, a book on childbirth preparation. 

I have to say that I did not regret every single minute I spent in her classes. Not only did I learn what to expect and how to cope with labor and delivery, I also left the classes feeling more excited than terrified of what's to come. Charles, on the other hand, realized that his role as a partner is just as significant and difficult as it is mine.

I have always doubted my confidence and my ability to rear a child. I was constantly in denial of the many changes that this will bring into our lives. The thought of labor and delivery alone petrified me out of my wits!  But somehow, sometime recently--that has changed! I have learned to embrace all these possible changes--good or bad, challenging or rewarding. In fact, I now look forward to them.

I figured that there's more to look forward to than be afraid of--the anticipation of seeing the little one who has, for so many weeks now, been growing and moving inside my body.  Who does he look like?  Will he like us when he sees us?  Will he be a quiet baby or one who won't stop crying?  I can hardly wait for the big reveal!

I have to thank Sarah for somehow changing my frame of mind, and my OB for recommending her.  Most importantly, I thank my family for always being here, sharing my excitement and setting my mind at rest, reassuring me that everything is going to be just fine.  They are my frontline cheerleaders!

19 comments:

Shutterfairy March 25, 2009 at 3:50 AM  

Liz, when I had my first son I went to a class, too. But the funny thing was, when the pain started coming, all those breathing and relaxation techniques that my teacher taught me.. nakalimtan tanan.

Aileen March 25, 2009 at 5:05 AM  

you will be a wonderful mom, liz! i'm so excited to see your little one, too.

hope everything will go well when you give birth. =)

Life+Style by C. Dacua-Ellazar Photography March 25, 2009 at 7:25 AM  

Good job guys --- that's a first step to be a responsible parents :)

I do tell my patient same thing, especially first time moms and dads... truly it does help, it makes the labor and delivery experience a lot better ordeal because you guys have the idea more or less what's going to happen [not just having the baby literally] --- you liz and charles and the medical team are on the same page, thus making charles jr's entance into this world worth remembering and joyful. [i wish i can be part of that team for you liz and the coverage too, LOL --- excited man ko kaayo para ninyo uyyy]. if there's anything you want to further that knowledge [although i know you probably have that much info already] give me a buzz, ok.

btw, great picture liz --- more more more, kanang silhoutte... daghana pud request uyyy, ikaw na nga photographer ikaw pa model... hahaha...

Liza March 25, 2009 at 11:08 AM  

Hahaha! Mai, mao sad na sulti sa among teacher. When contractions start, we tend to forget everything. That is why the partners are so important so they can be there to coach us and walk us through the coping techniques. I just hope dili mag-panic si Charles! Hehe...

Liza March 25, 2009 at 11:15 AM  

Thank you Ai! I am thankful for people like you who are very supportive in your own unique ways, despite being miles away :-)

Liza March 25, 2009 at 11:31 AM  

Bitaw Cinds! I'm glad we attended the classes. We got tons of useful info. I'm sure something will come up--when that happens, I'll give you a buzz!

As for the photo, will find a way to take more. Lisud kaayo 'coz I don't have a shutter remote. Have to use self-timer. Maybe I'll ask Charles one of these days to take the photos.

Dee March 25, 2009 at 10:53 PM  

awwwwwwwwwww this is so sweeeeeet.
I can not wait to see pictures of the little one when he/she gets out!

Congratulations again for being wonderful parents.

konsuy March 26, 2009 at 5:11 PM  

liza, trust me you will be fine. matotic lagi na nga naa gyud kay maternal instincts. promise.

it's good that you attended class. it makes you feel confident.

hapit na. excited na pud ko. i wish i could share my experiences but it might erase all you learned hehehe.

bitaw. you definitely going to be okay. apil na si charles. basin ug si charles ang makuyapan. =)

Liza March 26, 2009 at 5:28 PM  

Hi Dee! Will definitely post photos as soon as he comes out.

Liza March 26, 2009 at 5:31 PM  

Hi Chi!!!!! Been a while since I heard from you! Kumusta na ka? Busy tingale ka kaayo noh, sige pa-datu! Hehehe...

Would be nice if you can share your experiences. Actually I wish I'll hear more birth stories. I know it's different for everyone but that's what makes it more exciting, right?

I heard a lot of partners faint at the labor room. I hope Charles won't be one of them--unsaon nalang!

Pia R March 26, 2009 at 8:55 PM  

hi! i'm a friend of mai's and i'm just passing through. try waterbirth. :)

Unknown March 26, 2009 at 10:48 PM  

Liz, I couldn't be more proud of you! Big hugs! Charles will be great as well! you two are so blessed!

konsuy March 27, 2009 at 4:32 AM  

actually, na busy ko pilo ug adverts tabang ni insoy ani iyang paper runs. anything to keep him away from uyab uyab at the park. hehehe
will write about it sometime. i wish madatu ning 17$ a weekend.

Liza March 27, 2009 at 4:01 PM  

Hi Pia! Nice to meet you! Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment. I've heard a lot about waterbirth--and that it's actually good for the babies since they're used to being in the water. That would be interesting but I'm not sure I'll do it this time though, hehe.

Are you a mom or still expecting?

Liza March 27, 2009 at 4:02 PM  

Thanks Poy! Parenthood is going to be a big test for us. I hope we will pass :-)

Liza March 27, 2009 at 4:04 PM  

Pasagdi na si Insoy mag-uyab-uyab Chi uy! Ulitaw na bitaw. Maayo nang i-expose ug sayo para daghan makat-unan! :-)

konsuy March 28, 2009 at 2:24 AM  

patudlu-an usa ni nako unsa on ug pili ug gwapa. ang mamisita diri kay puro man bati oi, mobu pa gyud kaayo ug mga shorts. wala ka pasar.
hahaha.
mao ra gyud among pirme lalisan

keth March 30, 2009 at 5:14 AM  

i share your excitement liz and understand your apprehensions. you'll be surprised at how it will all just come to you. you'll make good parents, i'm sure.

Liza March 30, 2009 at 11:20 AM  

I hope so, Keth! I really hope so...

Followers

Contributors

About This Blog

I got interested in photography when I met my husband. He loved photography since the 80's when he owned a Canon AE1 SLR camera. When we got married, we met a great photographer who inspired me even more. I started taking photos when my husband and I got our DSLR camera back in 2005. I never really shared my photos. But lately, I've been introduced to photoblogging and I saw it to be a great way of expression. My photos are amateur but I hope to learn more as I blog and connect with people.

Schmap.com San Francisco Guide

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP