Thursday, March 26, 2009

Can't/Won't Give Up


A few days ago, a friend of mine tagged me on Facebook.  I am supposed to list down ten things that I can't, won't or refuse to give up during this recession.  At first, I thought..."What can't I give up?  Of course, I can give up anything unnecessary and I will.  In fact, I think I already have!"  Hence, I ignored the tag.

Oh, I was so wrong.  I later realized that there were some things I could have given up, but I just didn't.  I don't think I can name ten though, but here's a few--

Starbucks.  We do have free coffee at work, and we have at least a dozen kind and flavors of tea.  We have cream, milk, half-and-half, refined sugar, raw sugar, honey and three kinds of sweeteners--pretty much anything we need to get ourselves a beverage without spending a penny.  But that trip to Starbucks just can't be saved--especially when I'm having a rough day like today.  And what's more--I ended up putting a refill on my Starbucks card since it's almost running out of funds.  Did I mention I'm supposed to be off limits to caffeine right now?  Tsk...tsk...tsk.


Dining Out.  I think I've done pretty well on this.  Lately, we've been eating home-cooked meals a lot more than dining out.  But sometimes, I just can't help but set aside the packed meal that I bring from home to join the colleagues for a nice Japanese lunch.  Or give in to my cravings for a big prime rib dinner at one of our favorite restaurants.  Since I don't like eating alone, I had to drag the hubby and make the excuse of..."it's been ages since we were last there..." or "we have to treat ourselves once in a while..."

New Clothing.  This is the worst time to buy myself new clothing not only because it's recession but because I know my size and shape will drastically change in a month or so, and maybe change again thereafter.  But when I saw a pair of my favorite brand of jeans go on sale, my hands were just itching to click on that "Checkout" button.  And i did.

Accessories.  I have a weakness for designer handbags and shoes.  I thought I did pretty well at cutting back on these since the last time I got myself one was last Christmas.  But very recently, this email from one online store I visit often just kept popping up showing this really modish-looking handbag that's just too painful to resist.  I had to get it, but I swore to myself that this is going to be my last splurge for the year... or until the next holiday... or until the next excuse comes up.  Darn it!

Lens.  How many do I want?  Lots.  How many do I really need?  Just one.  Well, I had an excuse to get it, but this still can't be considered a necessity.

La Mer.  My skin care regimen.  A friend of mine recommended this after I suffered from chicken pox.  I've been using this product for almost two years now and it's awesome, but I'm sure Oil of Olay or Neutrogena will do just fine.  The hub keeps telling me it's a rip off and so I decided to just finish my last bottle and then switch to a more reasonable brand.  I probably survived three days without it and found myself buying again on the fourth day.  I also ended up getting another product from their line.  Moreover, I now got my sister using it by giving her some samples.

So do I feel guilty at all?  Of course I do!  I know how to distinguish a want versus a need.  But some things have just become part of us, and although we can give them up eventually, it's going to take a fair amount of struggle.  And if I really have to [give them up], I'm sure I can--albeit gradually.

11 comments:

konsuy March 28, 2009 at 3:01 AM  

i hear you gyud liz. ikaw biya to ang orig victoria secret promoter. sunod pud si angging. =)
and why not? you do have very good choices of bags and shoes. ako gud na bantayan kay ikaw pirme una sa trend.
few months from now si charles jr na pud ang imong palitan.

Shutterfairy March 28, 2009 at 3:11 AM  

hahahah.. nalingaw ko. will make my list.. na guilty ko cause i can't seem to give up those things that makes me happy.

Life+Style by C. Dacua-Ellazar Photography March 28, 2009 at 8:21 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Life+Style by C. Dacua-Ellazar Photography March 28, 2009 at 8:22 AM  

there are just some things you can't give up --- don't worry liz, you're not alone [i can start writing it down, tingali dili mahuman sa kadaghan... hahaha].

Liza March 28, 2009 at 10:47 AM  

Haha! Gi-warningan na ko daan ni Charles Sr. Chi to stay away from nice and pricey things for Jr. kay dali ra gyud kaayo matubuan. I probably won't overspend on him kay boy man. Kung girl pa to, nice kaayo palitan ug cute little outfits and accessories, hehehe!

Liza March 28, 2009 at 10:49 AM  

Hi Mai! Make your list unya. I'm interested to see what you can't give up. Let me guess--one of them should be those food trips to your favorite cafes. ;-)

Liza March 28, 2009 at 10:53 AM  

Hi Cinds! I bet one of the things you can't give up is a new camera. Hehe... Write them down lang gud--bisan unsa kadaghan ;-)

Anonymous March 29, 2009 at 10:02 AM  

One thing I can never give up is trips to the local Gas station shop to get our dose of ice blended mocha.

keth March 30, 2009 at 5:06 AM  

haha i enjoyed this list liz. i have a few things in mind, but it's probably a bit easier for me coz i'm kind of kuripot.
and i am not hooked to starbucks. i react to caffeine. just as well.

Liza March 30, 2009 at 11:16 AM  

Hi Maris! Ice-blended mocha sounds really inviting. I remember going to Bo's for this a lot when I was still working back in Cebu. Nah! Gimingaw na hinuon ko ;-)

Liza March 30, 2009 at 11:18 AM  

Hi Keth! I'm sure each of us has something we just can't give up--no matter how kuripot, hehe! ;-)

Followers

Contributors

About This Blog

I got interested in photography when I met my husband. He loved photography since the 80's when he owned a Canon AE1 SLR camera. When we got married, we met a great photographer who inspired me even more. I started taking photos when my husband and I got our DSLR camera back in 2005. I never really shared my photos. But lately, I've been introduced to photoblogging and I saw it to be a great way of expression. My photos are amateur but I hope to learn more as I blog and connect with people.

Schmap.com San Francisco Guide

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP