Sunday, March 1, 2009

American Dream?


At the lab on Thursday while having my 3-hour glucose test, I started a conversation with the medical attendant who took my lab work...

I said: Are you Filipino? (I wasn't sure if she was Filipino. She kinda looked like Vietnamese too.)
She said: Yes. Are you Filipino also?
I said: Yes. Where in the Philippines are you from?
She said: Pangasinan. Ikaw?
I said: Bohol. Bisaya ako!
She said: Uuyy, Chocolate Hills?
I said: That's right! That's where I'm from.
She said: Matagal ka na ba dito? Magaling na ang English mo ah!
I said: Hindi naman. Eight years pa lang ako dito. Ikaw?
She said: Four years pa lang!
I said: Ah ok! Wala ka bang plano umuwi para mag-bakasyon?
She said: Ay wala. Hindi pa ako nakauwi mula nang dumating ako dito. Kung uuwi man ako, matagal pa siguro!
I said: Bakit naman?
She said: Mag-iipon pa! Wala pang pera! Naku, mahirap masyado ang buhay dito! Dios ko! Napaka-hirap talaga!
I said: Bakit mo nasabi?
She said: Basta! Ang hirap ng trabaho, nakakapagod! Sa bahay naman, ikaw lahat ang gagawa, walang katulong, walang yaya! Ang mahal ng mga bilihin, mahal ang renta! Kung bibili ka ng sasakyan o kaya bahay, utang lahat! Ang sweldo natin dito kasya-kasya lang. Kung magpapadala ka pa sa Pilipinas, kukulangin na talaga! Hay naku! Grabeh!
And she continued whining...
I said: Well, pareho lang naman siguro kahit saan.
What I really wanted to say: Well, why did you come here in the first place?!?!

I find it quite sad that some people think coming to America means living the ultimate, comfortable, effortless life!  I think wherever we are--in the Philippines or abroad, we have to work hard to make a living.  We have to make sacrifices to survive!  Moving to a different country entails dealing with a lot of changes, and I'm not only talking about moving out of the Philippines.  Moving in from elsewhere should be the same thing.  One has to adjust to the people, the culture, the climate and most of all a totally different way of life!

Moving to a different country is a life-changing event--one that has to be thought of several times before a decision is made.  If we are comfortable where we are, if we don't want any change, then why do it?  Why move?

I wonder if she knew or even thought about all these before she came here.  Unless she was forced to come here, then that might be a different story.  But I highly doubt it...

6 comments:

Aileen March 1, 2009 at 9:46 PM  

you are liz, there's no easy way to make a living wherever we are in the world. it's sad that some people make it a habit to whine. i think that when we whine, we make our life all the more difficult to accept or live.

hope your glucose levels are ok now. =)

Aileen March 1, 2009 at 9:47 PM  

*you are right. =)

Liza March 1, 2009 at 10:30 PM  

Ai--you're so right! Whining will just keep us focused on the negative side of things and it will make matters worse. Looking at the bright side makes us happier, no matter the challenges we face.

My glucose levels are OK! Thank God and thanks for your prayers! It is very sweet and thoughtful of you to ask--THANK YOU!!!

Anonymous March 2, 2009 at 1:16 PM  

i'm sure her whining made the needle pricks even more painful. hehe.

i don't think one should subject another person to a litany of his/her complaints. and you're right, what did she expect, really?

Liza March 2, 2009 at 1:44 PM  

Funny kaayo cuz! I wanted to talk to her to get myself distracted from all that she was doing to me. Instead, na-reklamohan hinuon ko. But anyway, maybe she thought it was a good opportunity for her to complain since I am Filipino and I can relate to her, so I just listened.

konsuy March 2, 2009 at 8:28 PM  

kapoy talking to this people. they suck life out of you. =) i'm glad your glucose levels are okay. pag-amping na gyud.

Followers

Contributors

About This Blog

I got interested in photography when I met my husband. He loved photography since the 80's when he owned a Canon AE1 SLR camera. When we got married, we met a great photographer who inspired me even more. I started taking photos when my husband and I got our DSLR camera back in 2005. I never really shared my photos. But lately, I've been introduced to photoblogging and I saw it to be a great way of expression. My photos are amateur but I hope to learn more as I blog and connect with people.

Schmap.com San Francisco Guide

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP