Saturday, December 20, 2008

Hope

Bay Bridge at Sunset

Bay Bridge at Night

We had our Christmas Party at work yesterday--the very first time we had luncheon instead of a formal dinner. The obvious reason being the crisis in the country--everyone is cutting costs and our company is no exception.

I really missed the dinner parties where I had the opportunity to dress up and look good, when I had the chance to bring the hubby along and meet my colleagues' significant others, when I can socialize with my colleagues and spend the entire night talking about anything other than work. Those were good times!

But there's more to it that makes me really sad. I miss what our company used to be--a small, friendly environment with people treating each other like family. You see, I was around when this company started. There were 4 people including myself--it was hardly even "a company". Then we started growing and got bigger each year. Now, after only 6 years, we became part of an even bigger company with about 40 people in our office alone and thousands of others outside of San Francisco. Don't get me wrong--this is actually good and this is what we wanted. But so much has changed in so little time. There are now so many unfamiliar faces, new leaders, new policies, new strategies, and it just does not feel like home anymore. Where are the brothers and sisters that I used to have fun with? Where are the parents that I have come to know and love? Most of them gone.

I didn't enjoy the party, to say the least. I brought my camera hoping to capture the fun moments, but I left the hall with hardly any pictures. So I spent the rest of the afternoon, sitting in our office, looking out to the beautiful city and wondering... "how is this going to end? at least for me..." I still love my job, I love what I do. But is this enough reason for me to come to the same place every single day?

These photos I took of the bay bridge (from our office window) speaks so much about how I felt. At 4pm, the dusk started rolling in, and in less than an hour I was looking at the darkness of the night. But what came before dusk is something that will surely come back. No matter how dark the night gets, the bright daylight awaits! And just like any day, some things will always have to start over. This put a smile on my face.

9 comments:

konsuy December 20, 2008 at 2:34 PM  

oh liza. i feel you. sometimes, even if you like your job, it always boils down with the people you work with. it is always nice to look forward to coming to the office and seeing the people who feels like family. i like my work here. less pressure than before pero lahi ra gyud ang novato office, aw petaluma na diay. kanang small but homey. but on the bright side, homey can have it setbacks too. hehehe.

Anonymous December 20, 2008 at 6:15 PM  

cuz, these pictures are awesome! as in, waaay awesome!

i love this entry, esp about how there were just 4 of you at the beginning and how much the company has grown since then. you saw it all, the changes that have taken place and how sometimes there's a big price to be pay for success.

but you're right, no matter how things have changed, some things will always stay the same. the sun will always rise, day in and day out.

keep that beautiful smile on your face!

Liza December 20, 2008 at 10:10 PM  

hi chi, you're absolutely right! leaving AM was probably one of the best decisions i made, but the people i worked with at AM are still the best group of co-workers i had. i still consider them family.

cuz, thanks for the very encouraging note! and thanks for being supportive!

as for the pictures--sus, kibaw pa lang ka what i had to go through to take those! they were taken at low light and i didn't bring a tripod. so i had to use the back of a chair and a book to make it flat. then to get to the right height, i stacked up calling cards! also, i had to turn the office lights off so there's no reflection on the glass so i couldn't see my camera settings. had to use my cellphone as a flash light! i think it paid off though, and timing sad kaayo kay naa'y niagi nga cargo ship sa ubos sa bridge and it created that additional lighting effect.

luckily, there was hardly anybody left in the office. otherwise, people might think i'm going nuts! hehe.

Life+Style by C. Dacua-Ellazar Photography December 20, 2008 at 10:43 PM  

OMG liza, what a nice photo!!! i didn't realize the bridge is so pretty and romantic at night time (i've seen them in calendars - but not in the real thing like yours). i like the settings you put on this. i don't think i can capture one like this. I am so bad with night photopshoots. share naman the tips, i need to learn from you. yay, hats off to liza for a shots well done!!! keep it coming!!!

Liza December 20, 2008 at 11:26 PM  

Hi Cindy! Oh, I have no doubt you can do this one too! And I heard Canon is even better at night shots. All you really need is a sturdy tripod. I put my camera on Aperture Priority mode and set aperture at f/18. the shutter speed will automatically set to very low--around 8-10 full seconds. It's better if you are shooting outside and not from a window. If you have to shoot from a window, position yourself somewhere very dark.

Liza December 20, 2008 at 11:30 PM  

And by the way, you are in the perfect place to practice those night shots-- Las Vegas baby!!! :-)

Life+Style by C. Dacua-Ellazar Photography December 21, 2008 at 6:31 AM  

nice tips there liz, daghang salaman. i am still trying to figure out the best place to take photo of the strip that's why i still haven't tried. i need to start using tripod more often (it's just when my subject is always moving a lot tripod doesn't work for me). ok, i'll try the settings you told me.

Shutterfairy December 22, 2008 at 7:47 AM  

WOW.. wow for the photos and wow for the tip.hehehe..
beautiful beautiful photos. speechless ko.

Liza December 22, 2008 at 2:17 PM  

thank you mai! the photo is nice because the view itself is nice too! naka-timing lang gyud ko nga maayo sad ang panahon. sky was clear and no fog!

Followers

Contributors

About This Blog

I got interested in photography when I met my husband. He loved photography since the 80's when he owned a Canon AE1 SLR camera. When we got married, we met a great photographer who inspired me even more. I started taking photos when my husband and I got our DSLR camera back in 2005. I never really shared my photos. But lately, I've been introduced to photoblogging and I saw it to be a great way of expression. My photos are amateur but I hope to learn more as I blog and connect with people.

Schmap.com San Francisco Guide

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP