Wednesday, January 14, 2009

About a Boy


Ever since I learned that we are having a boy, I have unintentionally been observant of little boys and their behaviors. I guess I have become so obsessed about preparing for parenthood or perhaps I am just worried about not being able to deal with what's about to come.

We went to a children's party last weekend and I thought it was just the perfect time to see lots of little kids and observe how they behave. Some of the things I noticed were quite relieving, some disconcerting. There's this one little boy who seems very aggressive, likes to jump and climb, loves noise, can't stay focused and finds sitting still to be ultimately challenging. The mom couldn't eat well or mingle with other parents because she had to keep hounding him in fear that he might break something or hurt another kid.

Then there's this other boy--about the same age who just sat in the corner, extremely calm and shy, quietly following whatever his parents said. He even just ate by himself despite a little struggle to put food in his mouth without getting too messy.

So it's not about the gender afterall. Each child is unique and we all know that! Some people think parents need to start steering the child's behavior early, yet some think these unique behaviors are to be valued rather than trained out of the child.

But how do we really influence these early behaviors? How do we shape them into what we want without putting too much restraint? How do we leverage the child's early qualities and prepare them to voyage through the rapidly changing world that awaits them?

All these thoughts in my mind are straining. I think I might be going too far where I don't need to be--at least for now.

10 comments:

Shutterfairy January 15, 2009 at 1:58 AM  

It's tough raising boys.. tough but fun and worth it. some days I complain, other days, I enjoy it truly.

Life+Style by C. Dacua-Ellazar Photography January 15, 2009 at 7:47 AM  

girls or boys you pretty much nurture and discipline what you think is best for them. it's hard --- honestly when we initially decided to have kids that's my biggest fear liz [not much on the pregnancy and delivery], to raise them the right way. raising them in the philippines is way different here --- dili nako ma-apply ang style sa ako-ang parents diri.

At this point in time, i can't complain --- so far mutu-o pa naman namo. i am not sure of the little one [14 months old], medyo brusko og may pagka-barumbado, i think kinahanglan i-tighten ang amo-ang belt ni niya... hahaha...

Liza January 15, 2009 at 11:16 AM  

Thanks Mai! Those words are comforting. I take it from the expert!

Liza January 15, 2009 at 11:22 AM  

Hi Dee! Thank God for you! I thought I was the only one worried about these things at such an early stage.

I think your kids are the perfect kids! Ella is the ideal big sister--reminds me of how Ate Lot was when we were young. Si Emma I noticed that she does behave like a boy, hehe! Pero magpatuo ra man sad. I think you did very well raising them.

Anonymous January 15, 2009 at 7:08 PM  

One thing always comes to mind... I don't who said it, but it's along the lines of, "Children don't come with a manual." So your early concerns are valid, cuz. However, I am 100% confident that you and Charles will do just fine, if not marvelously! Don't ask me how or why I know... I JUST DO! :-)

Liza January 15, 2009 at 10:27 PM  

Sometimes I wish kids come with manuals nalang, haha! At least kugihan si Charles mubasa.

Thanks cuz for your reassuring words! I really hope we will do just fine.

keth January 16, 2009 at 6:29 AM  

liz, you're doing fine. i went through the same things in my head when i was heavily pregnant with my first-born and even up to now, i wonder, i worry and i ask myself if we are doing the right thing...but one thing i learned, no point in worrying...it will just come to you both naturally. you'll be amazed at how you'll cope and manage. i feel you'll both do very very well. all the best. and i really love this entry. you have such a flair for writing.

Liza January 16, 2009 at 2:36 PM  

Thanks Keth! These comments make me feel a lot better--especially comments from experienced moms like you.

konsuy January 18, 2009 at 4:53 PM  

liz, as soon as you become a parent you will never stop worrying. ingon ana gyud na. somehow you become accountable not just for yourself but for another soul.
love, lots of love. let them feel they are loved. no matter what. it builds their confidence and self worth.
sakto ka, lahi lahi gyud sila batasan. don't even know how they get the traits. so kahinanglan suwayan nimo what style to use. trial and error gyud. don't worry too much though. matotic ra ang child rearing even without a manual, naturally matotic ra gyud.

Liza January 18, 2009 at 8:20 PM  

Hi Chi! It's really comforting to hear what you just said--especially because it's coming from a super mom of two wonder boys! Thanks a million!

Followers

Contributors

About This Blog

I got interested in photography when I met my husband. He loved photography since the 80's when he owned a Canon AE1 SLR camera. When we got married, we met a great photographer who inspired me even more. I started taking photos when my husband and I got our DSLR camera back in 2005. I never really shared my photos. But lately, I've been introduced to photoblogging and I saw it to be a great way of expression. My photos are amateur but I hope to learn more as I blog and connect with people.

Schmap.com San Francisco Guide

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP