Saturday, January 31, 2009

The Calla


I saw a similar shot from a photography book I've been reading and I've been waiting for the opportunity to replicate it, or produce my own version of it.

Calla Lily is my favorite flower.  I used a lot of them on my wedding day.  I like the colored ones more, but white callas are more abundant and easy to find.  

Last year, I bought two calla lily shrubs for our little garden.  One of them turned out frail and skinny, and it only blossomed once.  While the other one got big, healthy, and it hasn't stopped giving flowers since I had it--even through the winter.  

This photo was taken under the shade with natural lighting.  To achieve the dark background, I had the hub behind the plant holding a black coat (hehe, thanks Beybee!).  

Just a different angle of the Calla.

8 comments:

Aileen January 31, 2009 at 6:10 PM  

perfect, liz! absolutely perfect! =)

Liza January 31, 2009 at 8:11 PM  

Hala thanks Ai! Lipay kaayo ko sa imong compliment! :-)

Life+Style by C. Dacua-Ellazar Photography January 31, 2009 at 9:18 PM  

nice one liz. i love the black background that contrasted well with the white calla.

Jo Quijada January 31, 2009 at 11:03 PM  

oh, these are beautiful, cuz! i remember your wedding day calla lilies.

as for the black coat -- scott kelby, right? hehehehe. i have yet to try it. :-)

Liza February 1, 2009 at 5:27 PM  

Cindy: Thank you! :-)

Liza February 1, 2009 at 5:36 PM  

Hi Cuz! Yes, the black background was a tip from Scott Kelby. I've been following a lot of his tips in my photos, including my photo in this entry. I can see that you're trying them too, that's really great! A lot of them actually work.

keth February 2, 2009 at 7:21 PM  

OMG!!! these are really beautiful liz. very much like a pro. i should get hold of a copy of scott kelby's book, hehe. well done!

konsuy February 3, 2009 at 1:36 AM  

nice kaayo.

Followers

Contributors

About This Blog

I got interested in photography when I met my husband. He loved photography since the 80's when he owned a Canon AE1 SLR camera. When we got married, we met a great photographer who inspired me even more. I started taking photos when my husband and I got our DSLR camera back in 2005. I never really shared my photos. But lately, I've been introduced to photoblogging and I saw it to be a great way of expression. My photos are amateur but I hope to learn more as I blog and connect with people.

Schmap.com San Francisco Guide

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP