Thursday, January 1, 2009

The Year That Was


Happy New Year to all!!!

While the rest of the world remember the year 2008--from the most spectacular Olympics ever to the collapse of the real estate and the world financial system to the beacon of hope brought about by the election of a new American president, Charles and I also came to ponder upon how the year went for ourselves.

I remember a lot about 2008, but if I have to narrow them down into 10 highlights, they are as follows:

1) We had one of our most memorable vacations--in Cebu and Bohol. Charles' family from Hongkong joined us for the first time and it was also then that we said our farewell and sent our well-wishes to our friend Chichi, who was leaving the company and the country.

2) I visited Europe for the first time. Although it was a work-related trip and Charles wasn't with me, I did get a chance to see the landmarks of London. I dream of going back there and visiting the other European cities as well.

3) I miscarried. We had our first chance to have a baby and I lost it. It was both physically and emotionally agonizing.

4) We lost on investments. The financial crisis not only affected the big guns, but also small-time investors like us who put our small savings on real estate and stock investments hoping to make a little bit more money. Some of the losses we may no longer recoup.

5) My sister gave birth to our first nephew. He brought joy not only to my sister and her husband but also to the entire family!

6) My boss and mentor for the last seven years, whom I have regarded with the highest respect has left our company. I fear that I may not get another chance to work with him or somebody like him again.

7) We made Minnesota a second home. Why Minnesota? Because my new boss is out there and so I go there almost every month. We took advantage of the real estate meltdown by getting a house there for a lower-than-market price. We are currently renting it out and the income is at least helping cut our investment losses.

8) I got a new hobby! I guess most of those who have access to this blog know how I got into blogging. I am enjoying it so far and I am hoping--really hoping that I won't tire out of it.

9) My entire family joined us for Christmas. After ten long years of not spending Christmas together, we finally did it this year! This made our holidays extra special.

And finally...

10) We are expecting our first baby! After a terrible miscarriage, I have mixed emotions about this pregnancy. We are very happy of course, but we also have some fear and anxiety that it might turn out just like the first one. But so far, everything is fine and we are hoping this goes really well.

Just like most people, we did have our share of triumphs and failures in 2008, but looking back I think that I would consider 'the year that was' a quite remarkable one!

So how do you best remember 2008?

***This photo was taken last summer in Disneyland. It didn't turn out as sharp as I want. I find fireworks very challenging.***

7 comments:

Shutterfairy January 2, 2009 at 5:43 AM  

regarding number 10.. i'll pray for you. just believe..

i wish to visit europe, too. one day..

Anonymous January 2, 2009 at 6:18 AM  

what a year indeed for you, cuz!

this baby is a blessing, and i'm already excited to meet him/her! he/she will be one lucky child because she has such great people as parents!

and i hope you never get tired of blogging because i love reading you. one day you will look back on all that you've written here and smile.

Liza January 2, 2009 at 10:47 AM  

Thank you Mai! I need the prayers.

Liza January 2, 2009 at 10:49 AM  

Thank you CUZ! Usahay maulaw ko mo-blog kay maayo kaayo mo musulat! But everyone in this online community is very supportive and thus making me feel at home. Thanks again for all the support!

Life+Style by C. Dacua-Ellazar Photography January 2, 2009 at 10:38 PM  

oh i am so sorry of your miscarriage liz. i know words aren't enough to suffice what you and charles went through --- terribly sorry.

yes, we're going to continue to pray for this upcoming baby. and i know you can't help worry but please enjoy this pregnancy - less anxiety more oxygen flowing through = healthy and happy baby. do let me know though if there's anything i can be of help, ok.

liz, you write good just to let you know. ako, sus trying hard intawon.

Liza January 3, 2009 at 12:20 AM  

Thanks Dee for the very encouraging words! Every single week--as the pregnancy progresses, I am also getting less and less anxious. I try not to think about what happened in the past, but sometimes I just can't help it.

konsuy January 4, 2009 at 1:55 AM  

oh liz, i didn't know you had a miscourage. have faith. this baby is growing well. visit lang gyud your doctor and ask the questions para less imong fear.
don't ever stop blogging. you are a very good photographer and i do like reading you. i'm sure others would love reading you too. i am happy to be linked with you this way. please don't ever tire. please.

Followers

Contributors

About This Blog

I got interested in photography when I met my husband. He loved photography since the 80's when he owned a Canon AE1 SLR camera. When we got married, we met a great photographer who inspired me even more. I started taking photos when my husband and I got our DSLR camera back in 2005. I never really shared my photos. But lately, I've been introduced to photoblogging and I saw it to be a great way of expression. My photos are amateur but I hope to learn more as I blog and connect with people.

Schmap.com San Francisco Guide

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP