Thursday, January 29, 2009

Paranoia

The Clock Tower, a landmark at the San Francisco Financial District

In this time of economic turmoil, one can’t help but sometimes get too paranoid.

Today I thought I was losing my job. We’re in the phase of firming up our 2009 budget and because the entire company is cutting costs, each of our business units received challenges to reduce expenses for the year by a specific amount. Along with the $$ challenge, top management was going to provide ideas on how and which part of the business we can get cost savings from.

I’ve been asking for this list so I can finally submit our budget, but it took them a while to send it to me. When I finally got hold of it and looked at the details, I almost had a heart attack! One of the items said “eliminate Ops Director”. Well, this isn't exactly my title, but because my team is also in-charge of operations and there are only three of us directors, I was so sure it meant "me".

So I was going to lose my job and things just started plugging through my head--When were they going to tell me? Is this why i got the list so late--because they were trying to figure out how to break it to me? Am i getting any severance pay? What will i do without health insurance? Can they even fire me when they know I'm about to go on disability? What will I do without paid maternity benefits? How much will i get from unemployment insurance?

So I called Charles--we had a long discussion.  I called my sister too and she got worried sick about me.  There was so much disarray going on in my head that I forgot to do the obvious--verify. How could this have come about? Who would have suggested the idea and how could any member of top management, not one of them based locally, even think that getting rid of me is the best way to save the company money? And so I did what I should have done in the first place. I finally assembled my thoughts and gathered the guts to email my boss to ask if they were indeed letting go of me, if they were eliminating my position.

I don't know if I made him fall off his chair or laugh his intestines out, but in less than two minutes I got a phone call and all I could hear was a voice of a totally-perplexed-but-somewhat-amused individual saying "What are you talking about?!?! Of course that's not you! You sent us the data. You said we didn't need the Ops Director and so we're eliminating the position in the 09 Plan!"

Aaahh...finally a light bulb! I now remember that sometime last year, we planned on hiring an Ops Director and because some plans have changed and we have budget constraints, we decided not to pursue with it. It was an open position that we had on the plan and I was the one who eliminated it from the headcount file for 2009.

I felt awfully embarrassed! How can I be such a dork? I spent almost the entire day stressing myself out and even sharing the anxiety with other people. I should have known better!

But then again, we're in such tumultuous economy where thousands of people are losing their jobs and I just can't help but be concerned of my own. Today, I learned two very valuable lessons: (1) to always know thy facts before reacting, and (2) to be more appreciative and thankful that I got a job that I like and that I still have it.

My heart goes out to all those who recently lost their jobs. :-(

12 comments:

Shutterfairy January 30, 2009 at 3:09 AM  

Toink! I think Liz you got scared first and your thoughts got the better of you that you forgot to verify.

It's sad when I hear about stories of people losing their jobs. I wish it'll get better soon.

Life+Style by C. Dacua-Ellazar Photography January 30, 2009 at 6:24 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Life+Style by C. Dacua-Ellazar Photography January 30, 2009 at 6:24 AM  

i bet your boss fell off his chair...

i totally understand what you're going thru liz. we had a long talk/conversation re this current crisis - they make us work like a dog this past few weeks trying to cut off extra staff on the unit [to save x amount of $$$], so now i do the desk sometimes if o don't have patient [unit coordinator] or do the tech job [assist surgery cases] - they like to keep the nurses because we can take pt - the secretary and tech can't.

i hope all will be better soon.

i love the sharpness in this photo by the way liz. love the fresh blue background.

Lynette January 30, 2009 at 8:38 AM  

I'm worried about all these things too. It's rather hard to ignore when you hear it and see it everywhere. *hugs* I'm GLAD you still have a job!

Liza January 30, 2009 at 10:19 AM  

Mao gyud Mai, big TOINK! I think I have a good reason to be worried though, but I just got so overwhelmed with what I saw and I got scared that I started not thinking right.

I do hope it gets better soon!

Liza January 30, 2009 at 10:21 AM  

You're right, Dee! We're all being asked to multi-task these days. I didn't realize hospitals were doing the same. But during these times, efficiency is really key.

Liza January 30, 2009 at 10:22 AM  

Thank you Nette! I am really glad I still have a job.

Anonymous January 30, 2009 at 11:36 AM  

wonderful photo, cuz! and when i saw the word "financial" on the caption, i kinda guessed what the paranoia was about.

like cindy, i'm sure your boss must've fallen off his chair! hehe. but i do understand where you're coming from. these days, every one is fair game. but then again, how will they cut costs if they don't have their finance director to steer them along the crunching numbers game?

huwasan ko nga nahuwasan ka. i hope the little one inside didn't feel mommy's stress too much.

Liza January 30, 2009 at 4:36 PM  

Hahaha! Thanks cuz! Mao gyud ingon sa akong sis--I caused myself a lot of stress, which was probably not good for the baby.

I'm sure he felt mommy's stress too! He was kicking and punching the whole time, but I didn't get to enjoy it because I was too preoccupied with the thought of losing my job!

konsuy January 30, 2009 at 11:17 PM  

praning ning praning ning moments. i get these moments too. maayo nalang wala ka nag escrima sa gawas. maayo gyud you verified. ako ato gahilak hilak na ko. good girl gyud ka. maka imagine ra gyud ko face sa imong boss. 3rd lesson, trust how good you really are and that you are indespensible.

Liza January 31, 2009 at 12:22 PM  

Nah! Chi, I can only wish I am indespensable, but in this kind of economy I think anyone is vulnerable.

keth February 2, 2009 at 7:24 PM  

haha, i thoroughly enjoyed this entry liz. i don't blame you for being paranoid, but how it actually ended, it's so cute and funny. i am sure it wasn't funny at all when all those things were still racing through your head.

Followers

Contributors

About This Blog

I got interested in photography when I met my husband. He loved photography since the 80's when he owned a Canon AE1 SLR camera. When we got married, we met a great photographer who inspired me even more. I started taking photos when my husband and I got our DSLR camera back in 2005. I never really shared my photos. But lately, I've been introduced to photoblogging and I saw it to be a great way of expression. My photos are amateur but I hope to learn more as I blog and connect with people.

Schmap.com San Francisco Guide

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP